Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mariner 75 hp. 87 model wont

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mariner 75 hp. 87 model wont

start verry easy.got to crank and crank then it hits,then it fires,then it hits, give it a little gas it start's runs dies..... I have new gas/mix,new plug's,once it start's it is easy to start,and it run's verry well. does any one have this problem?and if so is it fixable. anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be.. any help would be helpfull. thank you in advance..

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Is your choke working properly?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Don't really know,I can here it click when I push in the key.

Post Thanks / Like

Beagle,

I had the same problem with a 150 Merc and I took it to the shop and had everything checked out twice. Everything checked out perfect it just started like that. I did learn that if I throttled to full throttle and back to neutral, then pushed the neutral button and pushed the throttle lever forward about 1 1/2 inches, turned the key and pushed the choke in and counted to 15 slowly before turning the key all the way I could get it to start. Once started I would throttle the motor up while it warmed up. Once I went through this the motor always started right up the rest of the day. It was just that first start that was always a pain in the back side. If you want to have it checked and do not have a good mechanic I can recommend one in Carl Junction, MO.

Post Thanks / Like

I had 86 merc. There is a merc guru near by. After talking to him he said ther are several problems with these motors.

First - When you get ready to start the motor for the first time. Trim it down until the motor is tilted toward the water some. This will stop it from flooding. Do not pump the bulb until the motor is trimmed down.

Second - There is some type of bleeder (My understanding) that over the years will get stopped up causing the motor to load up with fuel but again (My understanding) a carb. cleaning does not cure the problem.

Third - These motor have a very low exshaust port. This is why everyone back then was having trouble getting out of the hole. So when idling for any long periods of time make sure the motor is trimmed up to the height were the ports are out the water. This will help with the loading of the fuel. Also He drilled out my exhaust ports thru the tuners which was a large help. This helped to dump the exhaust.

Hope it helps

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

to choke you hold the choke button in while turnning the engin over . release when it starts
    you might go to this site

www.themarinedoctor.com
    Last edited by papasage; 01-10-2008 at 08:59 PM.
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Thank's for the help all I will try what I can Pole Bender send me a PM on the Carl Junction motor man.. please.. this motor is a aggervatin thing and that aggervates me!.... thanks again everyone and good fishin later all

Post Thanks / Like

check out the fuel pump
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stinkies daddy
    check out the fuel pump
    will do thank's

Post Thanks / Like

it should be a block on the side of the motor, it woll have a lil gasket in it that pulsates if that thing gets a hole or and ware its trash. the kit to rebuild mine was 37$ and a new 1 was 42$. also checkall the fuel likes for ware if its suckin any air it wont run
    Stinkies Daddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast