Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smithville ?'s

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville ?'s

Are there any 'public' docks or good areas to bank fish for crappie at Smithville? I do all my fishing at LOZ off our condo docks - and would like to find some areas around here...

I live in Liberty - so anything fairly close is fine...just looking for a spot to get to quickly after work for a few hours of fishing...

Actually would like to take my daughter - she's only in Kindergarten and told me yesterday she wants to quit going to school and move to the lake and fish everyday!!!! Uh-oh...I am in trouble!!!

Would also be interested to know of other places good for this too - anything near/around Liberty

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

they have a fishing dock at camp branch at smithville, also during the spring the southside of the ramp at 'w' is great crappie fishing along the riprap.
    lake jacomo is about 25mins from ya to the south , they also have dock fishing there. no real big fish during the winter but big enough to make a turd !! good luck.
    ed
    Supreme Leader of the Missouri Crappie Militia.........

Post Thanks / Like

Cook's the man to talk to about bank fishing around Smithville. He lives near Plattsburg and knows the north end of the lake better than anyone. He also knows how to catch BIG cats so tie a rope around your daughters waist and hang on to it

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cook - Need Help

Alright Cook - I've been referred to you - what are the public docks and shore locations to do a little crappie fishin'...

I honestly have only been up to Smithville once, so not sure of the area all that well, but probably can find my way around.

Post Thanks / Like

Once I'm on the mend and spring gets closer-I'll be happy to show ya a few bank spots,my granddaughter is in the 1st grade,so I know most trips last about 20-30 minutes...but a few places for them to play within sight.
    The old bridge in plattsburg was washed out and now makes a great fishing dock-spring runs of white bass and crappie...some monster cats after a HEAVY spring rain,they come up from the lake to feed on everything being washed in.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds great - i'll take you up on that!

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said earlier, i've only been up around Smithville once or twice...

If I'm going up 169 hwy - how would I get to the fishing docks at Camp Branch...

Also, can you basically fish anywhere from the shore around Smithville?

Post Thanks / Like

Nope,not this time of year-try this
    http://www.anglersfishinginfo.com/mo...mithville.html

Post Thanks / Like

From Liberty, I'd go to Hwy 92 W. Look for State Road E. Turn north. Follow E... It winds. You will come to an intersection with signs directing you to Camp Branch (right turn) or Crows Creek (straight ahead) Both offer places to fish. At Camp Branch, you can pay and fish fairly deep water in the winter time. (I'm not sure if they allow fishing from the marina dock except in the winter). Crows creek has a handicapped accessable fishing dock and shoreline that is easy to fish.

Smithville is not the easiest lake for bank fishing. Much of the shoreline is heavily wooded, lacks easy access and is often steep. The main public launch areas are an exception and there are a couple dozen "official" access areas (see map) numbered with gravel parking areas. There are many "unofficial" bank fishing sites where old roads were flooded by the lake.
    Most of these have had earthen berms buldozed to prevent driving up to the waters edge so you'll have to walk a few yards. Look at the map and spend some time exploring. I started out bank fishing Smithville but got tired of lugging increasing large tackle boxes and a cooler so I bought a boat.

Another map. Click on "PDF" at the top and you get a map that you can zoom.
    Last edited by ShortStorie; 01-16-2008 at 04:27 AM.