Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Floats for fishing Jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Floats for fishing Jigs?

I bought some 1/32 jigs, I have read on the forum that I want the the float to just go under very easy or show a lite strike.

What size/kind should I use? Does depth of water make a difference in the kind of float? I like using slip bobber set up.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the floats I use. Go to www.myoutdoortv.com and enter Midwest Crappie. It is the Lake Erie Show.

Russ

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually will use a cigar or waggler float or this float that is in the archives by KCBH http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=19609

Old Ship
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Default thill mini stealth

the thill mini stealth MS-2 is for 1/32 oz, it is a fixed float
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

If there is not much wind/wave action-I like to add enough split shot so the top of the float is just under the surface,or at least even with the surface tension.

I feel I get extra hookups when I see the float rise instead of go under,since most crappie rise to feed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieCHAMP
    What size/kind should I use? Does depth of water make a difference in the kind of float? I like using slip bobber set up.
    If you're casting the jigs (rather than still fishing), you can't beat a waggler. Although there are better floats on the market today, the easiest ones to find are the Thill wagglers. You can experiment with the sizes. Bigger wagglers take more weight to shot correctly; therefore, you can cast them farther and they'll be more stable in the wind. Start with the 6" float and see how that works for you. Any of the Thill wagglers will work fine with a 1/32 oz jig.

Depth matters a lot for float selection. For fishing jigs, a waggler should be able to handle most depths. I always set mine up as fixed float because I use very long rods, but they can easily be set up as slip floats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cook
    If there is not much wind/wave action-I like to add enough split shot so the top of the float is just under the surface,or at least even with the surface tension.

I feel I get extra hookups when I see the float rise instead of go under,since most crappie rise to feed.
    Smart move! I think many people miss a ton of bites cause they have too much float sticking out of the water. The more of the float that is out of the water, the more resistance the fish feels.

I get a lot of lift bites, too. On one bluegill trip this past summer, I got around 70 gills. I'd say about half of them came on lift bites (the float does NOT go under but rises very slightly.) If I didn't have my float shotted just right, I wouldn't have seen any of them.