Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ardent S-400M Spinning Reel - Made in the USA

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ardent S-400M Spinning Reel - Made in the USA

Today I received the revised Ardent S-400M Spinning Reel. This reel is the only totally made in the USA spinning reel currently available and I have eagerly anticipated receiving it to test and review. Today I'm just going to post a few pictures and give my initial impressions of the reel. Over the next month or so I will use the reel and update this thread with my impressions and then give a final review.

The reel came with a spare machined aluminum spool, small portions of Ardent Reel Butter Oil and Grease, owners manual, and warranty card.

Here is the product description from Ardent's website.

The Ardent S-400M spinning reel is made with the highest quality A360 Aluminum. It's one-piece aluminum frame is corrosion resistant and built to last. The S-400M is engineered to be a premium spinning reel, designed for 6 lb. to 12 lb. test line. The S400M features Ardent’s TTP Total Titanium Protection System. The only spinning reel to have a titanium coated bail, line guide, and spool lip, so your line will not be frayed from a nick or dent in the spool lip. This high-quality, high-performance reel is smooth on the water, bringing a new level of performance to your days of fishing.

The reel comes with a titanium coated spool lip, bail and line roller. The owners manual says this is the only reel that has this feature. The reel feels very sturdy and is lighter than comparable reels of the same size I own and have held. It has a machined aluminum handle and comfortable rubber grip. It has a very sturdy looking bail. It's an attractive reel, but its design is a little plain in an industrial sort of way. It has a sparkly finish that reflects a lot of light.

There are a few issues that I will be paying special attention to while I test the reel. The titanium coating on the spool isn't as smooth as the lip on the spare spool that has no titanium. The drag clicking mechanics inside the spools are quite different between the 2 spools. I suspect they are supplying the spools from the previous model as the spare spool. Personally, the clicker in the spare spool looks like a better, quieter and more durable design. The clicker in the titanium spool is made of plastic. The titanium on the lip is the roughest spool lip surface I can recall feeling and it will be interesting to see if it affects casting performance. The drag click is quite loud and may be a bit irritating compared to the quieter drags of other premium reels.

When I removed the reel from the box and tightened up the handle I thought the reel felt stiff and noisy at first and the bail seemed hard to trip, but as I tested the reel and filled the spool, and ran down to the lake to take some casts it freed up nicely and the bail tripped smoothly once it was on the reel, though the reel continued to be noisier than I like in a new reel of this caliber. I am hoping that with use some of these issues will smooth out. When I spoke to the company president he mentioned that it may be initially stiff, but in use it smooths out. He said they designed the reel for long term durability and that the reel will smooth out considerably once it is broken in. I have already noticed that it is smoother after just a few casts.

I have spooled the reel with my trusty 6lb Sufix Promix, and will be using it mainly on an IM8 45 million modulus 7-ft 2-piece medium-light rod, but considering how light the reel is I will test it on my identical rod that is an ultralight.

I plan on scrutinizing this reel very thoroughly and may be critical of a few issues that I think should be addressed so that it can compete with other reels in this price range, but this is an excellent reel, made by an American company that believes in its product enough to guarantee it for 3 years. My initial overall impression of this reel is very positive and I suspect that after I use it for a while that Dave and Jake from Ardent are going to have to pry the reel from my cold dead fingers before they get it back. Stay tuned for more information as I use the reel and learn more about it. The reel sells for $149.99 on their website and is also available from Cabela's though I'm not sure if Cabela's has the newer model yet. Go check out their website at www.ardentreels.com.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 01-09-2008 at 11:20 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Its going to be a challenge to try to forget its the only U.S. made spinning reel and be objective about it if the reel isn't good enough for the price. I think a little ruthless objectivity is what they need in order for them to develop the reel to be competitive in this price range. The reels from Daiwa, Shimano, Quantum, Okuma, Pflueger, and Penn in that price range are proven, sophisticated reels. Its going to take something special from Ardent to make it in that arena. Its going to take at least a couple months of use and realistically through this spring to really know if they got it right. I'm looking forward to giving the reel a workout.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 04-20-2008 at 01:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

take it carp or cat fishing see how the drag holds up. less you got some stripers near you

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try for some 8-10 lb walleye tonight and then head over to lake Erie tomorrow for some steelhead if I have the time. Some time this winter I'll get to TN and go after some big smallies and stripers when I'm not crappie fishing. I'm interested in its finesse capabilities as well since thats the whole point of them giving me a reel to test. I'm very interested in its smoothness and sensitivity for crappie fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been catching some nice 9-10 lb steelhead, 4-5 lb smallies, and some 4-5 lb walleyes this spring on the reel and I'm getting some nice workouts with it. I am forming some more solid impressions about the reel, but right now I still need to break it in some more to see if some of the questions I have about it continue with more use and different lines. Its definitely a reel I like to use, but I'm still deciding if it has the stuff to compete with other reels in the $150 price range. I will use it through the end of May and then I will most likely finish up this review and make some conclusions on this important American made spinning reel.