Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pressure treated lumber?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Pressure treated lumber?

I'm wanting to make some stake bed's & sink them in around 4-7 feet deep. Was wondering about using pressure treated lumber to make them out of,
    Should last a lot longer.What are the pro's & con's of using it, (get all I want FREE :D ) Thanks Mark,,,,,,,,,

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

should be fine . docks are made out of it . it might take longer fore fish to come to them becous e of the treatment .new docks don`t hold fish unless they left some old post there .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure about drawing crappie. I'll tell you it doesn't draw any other type of fish. Around here anyway.
    If you can get all you want for free?
    I'd say 'start building decks or docks'.:D

There is another thing to watch for while using treated lumber.
    Something to think about is if it was treated with arsenic. Older treated (not sure when) was treated with arsenic for bug protection. It wasn't too long ago it was banned in Mich. I'm assuming it was the EPA. More then likely nation wide.
    I'm not a tree hugger. Just be cautious.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Papa.
    You type too fast.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

There is no need to use treated lumber underwater. ANY wood rots very slow when it is completely underwater and kept there. Folks are harvesting sunken logs from the bottom of lakes and rivers, a result of log drives done in the early 1900s or earlier. They get them old sunken logs out and dry them and cut premium lumber out of them.

That is why when a new lake floods out timber, the trees break off at the waterline but the stumps last dang near forever.

Joe