Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need tips for fishing Reelfoot Lake, TN.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need tips for fishing Reelfoot Lake, TN.

I am going fishig at Reelfoot Lake in W. Tennessee this April. Having never been there before, any information or tips on tackle, techniques and what to expect will be very appretiated. Thanks Gobe67

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gobe67
    I am going fishig at Reelfoot Lake in W. Tennessee this April. Having never been there before, any information or tips on tackle, techniques and what to expect will be very appretiated. Thanks Gobe67
    Check Tennessee board out
    Today is a great day

Post Thanks / Like

Number one thing to remember is this: There are lots of snakes at Reelfoot. LOTS. The fishing can be outstanding though if you find the holes and avoid the stumps.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.reelfoot.com/
    You can look at the fishing reports on there. People mostly spider rig with minnows and jigs. There is also alot of good jig fishing around the bases of cypress trees. lots of snakes and stumps. April should be a great time, wind is a factor sometimes though.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tips For Reelfoot Lake

Go SLOW, beware of stumps just under the waters surface. I tilt my gas motor up some, but make sure it's pumping water. Also adjust your trolling motor up as high as you can get by with, I've tore a brand new one up by hitting a stump.
    Be carefull in the cypress trees those red wasp love them cypress, and of course the cottonmouth are in the trees, they really like to ride in your boat.
    You can buy your minnows at Bo's Landing there on the lake, they don't sell by the dozen, they sell by the pound [ 1/4# 1/2# etc].
    There is no size limit at The Foot, but 30 fish per person.
    Ask Clayton at Bo's for some advice on where they been catching them, there nice folks.

Good Luck................crappie cowboy

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, I/we are getting excited. 3 bass fisherman and 1 crappie guy(me) and I don't get very far from here. We don't have very many snakes around here. Sounds like the same kind of fishing I do around here, but I've never bought minnows by the pound before!

Post Thanks / Like

Default bring binoculars

You also need a good set of binoculars for long range fish glassing. Some of the best trophy crappie can only be spotted from a distance. Also, some sneaky fishermen I know are experts at landing fish without putting a pole in the air. They just slide em over the side and into the cooler. You have to watch them close to know that they catching them.

Alls fair in love and crappie fishing
    rushcreek

Post Thanks / Like

Default me personally

I can't overcome the urge to jump up and down screaming crappie attack when I catch one.
    rush

Post Thanks / Like

That is a great time for for catching big black male white crappie on the foot!! Use jigs try a Mid South 800 gl. skirt with a 1\16 th oz. flo. orange head I killed them on that jig last year about that time. Target water 4-7 ft. deep around cypress or lilly pad stubble.
    Mr. Plucker

Post Thanks / Like

Call Lou, or one of the boys at Grizzly Jig. Huffman put out a great video on Grizzly fishing that would help alot also. I would recommend staying at Acorn Point and if you want a guide either Patrick Johnson or ask one of the guys at Grizzly. I spent my honeymoon there, she loves the place.
    2008 Buggs Bash Champ! SML Dock Shooting King!