Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: with or without collars?

Post Thanks / Like

Default with or without collars?

What type heads,body do you all tie with.I tied some last night for the first time . Did some with and without collars. I think without is best.
    dave
    in currituck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tahoe 50
    What type heads,body do you all tie with.I tied some last night for the first time . Did some with and without collars. I think without is best.
    I never use jig heads with a collar. Actually they are for use with soft plastics.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

fishhunter775 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use both with and without.For marabou I like the collarless and for hair I like the ball collar,it helps the hair flair a little more making better action in the water.Least I think so.It is really up to ones on preferance.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer without a collar for my personal jigs. I believe you have a much neater product that way. Some customers are adamant they want them with a collar because they believe it pushes out the hair a little further.

Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

For chenille body jigs, I use collarless. For crappie sized hair jigs, mainly kiptail, I use the same collarless jigs. For larger bucktail jigs, say 1/4 - 1+ oz. jigs, I use a collared hot lips jig. It gives you a bigger profile and lets the hair flare out. I do not use standard 'barbed' jigs though, like you would use for soft plastics. It just gets in the way and is too much trouble to cut or sand off when you can just pick up the pack next to it that doesn't have a collar. If it's a chenille body jig you're tying, it'll also make the body uneven.

Post Thanks / Like

Default No collars

No collars is the way to go.
    Crappie don't sleep, is that why I'm so tired?
    Team crappiekingjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I'm digging through the archives. I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this topic. Basically, I was just wondering if the opinions had changed or stated the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Been using no collar for 10 years I have been at this. The only time I use a collar is when tying hair tails, like Kip Tail and then I want a collar without a barb and preferably a small flair at the end of the collar!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Use both - if I really want to flair hair on a collar I'll use a thread bump or cut the barb and squeeze a flat spot to have a ball on the bottom and it will flair just fine

Post Thanks / Like

Ball + collar - With a thread neck and a hair tail, the hair is much more secure with a collar. With no collar, the hair is stacked on itself instead of around the collar. This makes it much more likely to pull out. While I tied Kip tail with no collar for years, I've switched to a ball collar. It is just an easier process to tie in and secure the hair. With a collar, I have to tie in the hair usually 2 times to cover the circumference of the collar. My fat fingers prevent me from spreading the hair completely around the collar in 1 shot.

Ball no collar - Versatile! You can tie any type of jig with it!
    www.nimrodstackle.com Custom Jigs made to your WAY! Available materials: Marabou, Hackle, Buck Tail, Kip (Calf) Tail, Duck Flank and Squirrel Tail.

We now sell many popular painted/unpainted jig heads includung: ball no collar, barbed collar, minnow head raised and eye socket, shad darts and tube jigs. We now stock jig tying material too!!!

May your nets be heavy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast