Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: INFO: Ledges (a must-read for beginners)

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow INFO: Ledges (a must-read for beginners)

This topic & link may have been posted in the past, but as with all groups and forums, most topics get rehashed to death. This article however, is mandatory reading for beginners:

Out On A Ledge
    by Dave Stewart

http://www.explorekentuckylake.com/l...ng/article.htm

This series of articles

Elev., Current, Water Temps
    Weather Patterns
    Night vs. Day & Astronomy
    Bank & Dock Fishing
    Structure
    Crappie

Fishing 101
    http://www.explorekentuckylake.com/l...01-preface.htm

is very good reading as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Good article on ledges. I like Dave's definitions for Structure and Cover - "Structure being the bottom composition such as rocks, gravel, mud, etc. and topographical features such as points, cuts, creek junctions, gradual dropoffs, steep dropoffs,… etc. Cover being that which allows the bass protection from light, camouflage and concealment from the prey, and physical protection. We all know that bass will orient themselves to cover such as stumps, laydowns, brush piles, vegetation, man made structures, overhangs, etc."

Even though this article was written for bass fishing, crappie are in the same family and have very similar habits. We look for the same types of areas to put our Bamboo Crappie Condos as Dave recommends to fish for bass.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default What I found most valuable

was his description of how to 'visualize' creek and river channels - and how the cover might be distributed on those banks/ledges in deep water - just as they might be on the visible portion of the lake shore that we might fish. All this in the context of using sonar to identify such, and organizing a solid approach for fishing it.

Yes, the distinction between cover and structure is an important one, and the two are used interchangeably (mistakenly) quite often. Most of us don't mind having them mixed up though ....especially if it's our fishing bud's doing the mixing!

BleuGhill

Post Thanks / Like

That drives me crazy( the whole cover/structure deal). I know the difference but when I read an article or see a show and the host/writer does not know, well, it just shows ignorance. Cover is a brushpile, tree or the most mistaken example, a BRIDGE. Structure is a point, bay, ledge etc. I can get really confused if they are talking in a general fashion about structure. The EXPERTs can sound really dumb sometimes. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer
    That drives me crazy( the whole cover/structure deal). I know the difference but when I read an article or see a show and the host/writer does not know, well, it just shows ignorance. Cover is a brushpile, tree or the most mistaken example, a BRIDGE. Structure is a point, bay, ledge etc. I can get really confused if they are talking in a general fashion about structure. The EXPERTs can sound really dumb sometimes. CF
    I here ya. It is all relative. I call some peas, beans and some beans, peas. I don't think the fish really care what we call it.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

"......most topics get rehashed to death. This article however, is mandatory reading for beginners"

Quoting myself.....

I had a dog once; he never saw a truck tire that he didn't want to pee on.