Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever tried this

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone ever tried this

I think I posted this once before, but its been a good while. I thought I would ask again. I read somewhere about these two old men who were fishing together that were not having any luck when one of them tried an interesting thing. He told the other guy that he new something that might work when nothing else would. He put some minnows in a clear canning jar filled with water and lowered it into the water where the fish were holding, so as to make it look like an underwater aquarium. This started a feeding frenzy and they started catching fish. It sounds funny, but it seems like it could work. Has anyone ever tried this or heard of this and what were the results?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

nope, ant tried it but gonna try it soon
    :D CRACKER :D

Post Thanks / Like

I heard of it somewhere but where I could not tell you. Would be cool to tie it to an underwater camera and see exactly what happens, fishing mythbusters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker
    I think I posted this once before, but its been a good while. I thought I would ask again. I read somewhere about these two old men who were fishing together that were not having any luck when one of them tried an interesting thing. He told the other guy that he new something that might work when nothing else would. He put some minnows in a clear canning jar filled with water and lowered it into the water where the fish were holding, so as to make it look like an underwater aquarium. This started a feeding frenzy and they started catching fish. It sounds funny, but it seems like it could work. Has anyone ever tried this or heard of this and what were the results?
    crappieseeker.......my grandfather used to do the same thing. When we pulled up to one of his honeyholes, he would fish for 10 or 15 minutes and if he got no action, out he would come with the mason jar. He'd put 6 or 8 of his minnows in it and tie it the same depth he was fishing. Can't say for certain it's what caused it, but we always started catching within 15 or 20 minutes. I've also heard of other people using the same technique. Oh, yeah, and I remember this very cleary, he always used the cheap jars that didn't have the raised brand name on the sides....said it made the minnows look funny. :D He was right, he showed me at the farm next day with the Mason brand jars, and the minnows were visually distorted. He also used the sweet feed he fed his mules to bait the crappie, and that worked too. Good luck.!!

Post Thanks / Like

Someone also posted on here once about tying a piece of sewing thread to a hook on one end and a balloon on the other and hooking your first crappie through the back and releasing it.The theory is that the fish will swim back to the school and you will be able to locate it by the balloon and cast to it.Have never tried this but more than one person had heard of it when posted.I might try the jar this weekend.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Heard about it....

..Yup, either saw it on a fishing show, or read about it in a article somewhere, or maybe both...Have'nt tried it yet..keep forgetting..when you get older memory first thing to go..not hearing or eyesight..LOL... :D ..do remember it's akin to setting out decoys; teasing fish they get excited then frustrated and eat your offering :p ...gonna have to try it also....maybe its like TV for fish.. :p
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if you put the jar on the end of a stiff rod if you could feel fish attach the jar, I would jerk everytime trying to knock out a whopper lol

Post Thanks / Like

Minnows get scared when they see predatory fish nearby. When minnows get scared they give off "Fear Pheramones". Predatory fish can pick up these pheramones in the PPB ranges. These substance can and do often turn fish on and make them feed.

Dr Gregg (AKA Dr Juice) did a lot of research on this subject back in the 1970's and 1980's. He invented the Dr Juice attractant which was on of the first used to really catch more fish. I know that I used and still use Dr Juice Panfish formula and Bass formula to this day. I keep a bottle in a small vinyl pounch that is stapled to the side of my bass seat at the front of the boat. It's right there with my hemostats and the bandage scissors that I use to cut the fishing line with.

I don't go fishing without live bait or without fishing attractants such as Dr Juice or Berkley's Crappie Nibbles.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big "E"
    Someone also posted on here once about tying a piece of sewing thread to a hook on one end and a balloon on the other and hooking your first crappie through the back and releasing it.The theory is that the fish will swim back to the school and you will be able to locate it by the balloon and cast to it.Have never tried this but more than one person had heard of it when posted.I might try the jar this weekend.

I tried this with float instead of a balloon. It is illegal in most states. With the float I could claim that it was not mine or that my line broak. We could definately track the fish, but there did not seem to be a school of fish in the channel that day. So, I did not have mush luck with it. I have heard other people say that this really helped them. I will try it again sometime. Probably worth a second try.
    LET IT RIP!

Post Thanks / Like

big E, I am also the one who posted the balloon thing and it had a big response. It worked for some people, and others it didnt. I would say under the right conditions it would work. Such as, if it didnt get tangled in something, and you got it back in the water quick enough to allow it to get back in the school it was with if it happened to be in one. labill, I had thought about that before you mentioned it, I wondered if they were using the plain jars to keep the minnows from looking funny, cause I also thought it would make a difference, and i guess it did.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast