Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider Riggin verses Longlining

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Riggin verses Longlining

If I'm set up for spider rigging why should I even consider longlining? I'm not sure I understand how longlining can have any advantage over the other unless you're fishing extremely shallow water. Even then, it seems I would spook the fish with the boat.

I'm gittin so tired of asking questions.
    I'm such a loser.
    I don't know anything.
    :D

Post Thanks / Like

Keep asking questions...that's how you are going to learn. There are some guys on here that are serious about it, I do know that. Do a search for longlining and you will pick up some more info.

Here is one thread that I found:
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...ght=longlining

Post Thanks / Like

I am kinda like you Ronnie, when I think of longlining I think about it as out of the back of the boat with your outboard, spider rigging I think of two people in the front using trolling motor...thats about as far as my thoughts can go on this subject...

Post Thanks / Like

You can circle a whole lot tighter to go through a hot area several times before making one wide circle with the long lines.

Depth control tends to be easier spider rigging as you can use your depth finder.

Advantage Long line when you have boat shy fish from clear water, pressure or shallow water.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes the fish want the presentation to be faster than what is feasibly possible with a spider rig. If you have the rods out the front spider rigging style and run into a brush pile at a higher trolling motor speed then you risk damaging some rods or the line will get fouled in the trolling motor because of the angle the line is from the speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't longlining cover more area quicker?

It would be tool for location as the schools move in the hot summer months.

Just my take on it.. may be wrong since I never longline..

Capt Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that these are two completely differenct ways to fish.

We troll lines (4) out the back of the boat and several long poles out the sides up front. The big difference is the bait set up and the fact that you can cover more water quicker longlining. I agree that you can scare shallow fish but i've caught good fish in 4 foot of water with this method. I have been amazed at how aggresive Crappie can be in the spring.

Use 1/4 or 1/8 oz roadrunners with a 3" culy tale grub. Chartruse head with black/Chartruse grub is hard to beat on most days. Once you get up and going you pretty much have to keep the boat moving. If you get hung up on one line you just have to break it off. Stopping will pretty much gurantee that you hang all lines up.

This method of fishing does not work very well if the fishing pressure is heavey becasue you have to avoid other fisherman.
    Brush Buster

Post Thanks / Like

Dont give up on longlining--have done for a few years now--it will take you sometime to figure out what to do and when to do it---it does perform better for me at different times of the year---you can cover more water is for sure if the fish are in schools---works great for me from march to june---i an new to spiderrigging and just learning it because it has a time when it is a great tatic--longlining is just how i started and my method is alot more involved than most---i fish 12 rods out the back and one of the fellas i fish with has 10 out the back and 8 out the front---whatever method you decide to go with just stay with it and figure it out---trying to figure out this spider rigging has been a challenge to say the least but it is fun--had my best outing sunday--anyway--good luck
    Get the net!

Post Thanks / Like

Longlining covers ground looking for aggressive fish, similiar to running a crankbait while bass fishing. The trolling motor doesn`t bother the fish as it is in constant and is usually a Minnkota which is super quiet. Your rods out the front are long enough they cover a 25 to 30 plus foot span away from the trolling motors wake. And the lines out the back are out far enough that they are not affected by the trolling motor. Each tactic has its times though I would say Spidderigging(pushing) is probably better in shallow clear water. Some lakes fish different than others which calls for different patterns or tactics. The most important things are weather, light penetration in the water(not exactly water clarity) and what species is prodominent in the waters you are fishing(white or black).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knappy
    Dont give up on longlining--have done for a few years now--it will take you sometime to figure out what to do and when to do it---it does perform better for me at different times of the year---you can cover more water is for sure if the fish are in schools---works great for me from march to june---i an new to spiderrigging and just learning it because it has a time when it is a great tatic--longlining is just how i started and my method is alot more involved than most---i fish 12 rods out the back and one of the fellas i fish with has 10 out the back and 8 out the front---whatever method you decide to go with just stay with it and figure it out---trying to figure out this spider rigging has been a challenge to say the least but it is fun--had my best outing sunday--anyway--good luck
    I Run 8 rods out the back,( and still waiting for Knappy to catch up with me, since I got him started trolling.) Trolling will out produce any other method where I fish. It take time to figure it out. Speed, line size, jig head size, all must be right for the depth the fish are holding.:D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast