Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: BPS Crappie jig

Post Thanks / Like

Default BPS Crappie jig

Name:  crappie jig.bmp
Views: 441
Size:  29.3 KB
    Does anybody use these? Are there much difference in these and some of the hair jigs some sell on eBay? @$1.39 for 10 are they worth a try?

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are very similar to the chenille jigs that several people on this forum make. (i.e. Marabou and chenille.) They do work. I am not too thrilled with the color pattern in your example. I prefer a two tone color combination for the tail because it is more visable underwater and gives the CRAPPIE an additional choice of color. Personal opinion.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 01-07-2008 at 12:36 PM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

check out this site, jimbosjigs.com he has about everything you could ever imagine as far as color combos go and at a great price!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Prowler ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nightprowler64
    Name:  crappie jig.bmp
Views: 441
Size:  29.3 KB
    Does anybody use these? Are there much difference in these and some of the hair jigs some sell on eBay? @$1.39 for 10 are they worth a try?
    I haven't used the "BPS" verson ... but, for many years I did use the equivalent of them (though much cheaper in price). Mass produced commercial jigs, like these, aren't all that bad ... and they do catch fish (I've caught many 2lb Crappie on them). Their biggest problem is usually workmanship ... or, more exactly, the thread tie. It usually ain't too swift, if you know what I mean. They also usually only come with one specific hook size, relative to head weight. The thread tie can be compensated for (fixed) with a spot of glue ... and if the hook size is to your liking, then you'll be OK.

The other guys are correct, however, as there are many different members that tie jigs ... that are better quality, and can be custom ordered (as far as hook size/style/color - materials used for body/tail - head color - with or w/o eyes painted on - etc.)

And, no ... they aren't the same thing as a "hair jig". The one you have pictured looks to be a chenille body (fabric) and marabou tail (feather). A true "hair jig" has no "body/tail" difference .... the body & tail are one and the same, and they're made from the hair of various different animals.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I often use the ones from Wal Mart, 10 for $.98. when shooting docks that are brushy. (cheap to lose) They will catch fish just fine. To make them last longer, coat the body with clear nail polish, otherwise they unwind after a few fish.

Almost all of those commercially made jigs have sorry hooks but bottom line is "the fish don't care".
    Good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spare Jigs

Does anybody here just tie those tiny hair jigs for fun and have some they just don't need and want to help a fella out? I have never tried anything other than plastic grub or minnow/bobber. And have commited to give these tiny hair jigs a honest try this year. I'm going to try alot of different things suggested by others on this site.

Post Thanks / Like

Nightprowler, e-mail me you name & address and I will make you some.
    Good fishing.