Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Warmouths

Post Thanks / Like

Question Warmouths

i've caught a few of theses fish and looked up what they where and it says warmouths.....just interested....anyone know anything about these fish???
    :D CRACKER :D

gator36 Guest

Warmouth is in the sunfish family (bluegill,pumpkin seed) It gets confused with the rockbass, the warmouth has small teeth on the end of its tounge, the rockbass does not. I have heard that they can take over a lake or pond very fast. In fact I have fished private ponds and the owners tell me to throw them out if I catch them. Not very good eating either, I believe they have a mud vien but not sure. Uaually not very popular to fish for. Hope this helped some.......gator36

Post Thanks / Like

I have not caught one yet damn it, I would trade any pickerel or gar I've caught for one anyday. Damn gars and pickerels blah. I would like to go peacock bass fishing down near miami sometime too

Post Thanks / Like

ive only caught one or to before.....and when i did i thought they were a mix between a bass and a crappie.....lol
    :D CRACKER :D

Post Thanks / Like

I catch them all the time up there in the South Georgia rivers and streams. They love crawdads. They are very good eating. The filet looks just like a bream. But you don't get a very big filet because of the way they are built. They are all head, mouth, and belly. Little tanks. I keep a couple smaller ones in my 75 gallon fish tank. Feed em crawdads and minnows. Their style of attack is interesting. They just slowly approach the prey until within inhaling distance, and then the food is gone.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

FWI, the record Warmouth for Florida is 2lb 7oz. It came out of the Yellow River Oct 1985. After looking again, it looks like the biggest anywhere.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I know a local lake with them and has several brush fish attractors I know where are now so I guess I will go catch a few one of these days, not sure if the lake has decent crappie population or not but will find out then.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another really cool thing I have had the chance to witness with warmouths. Like I said, they love crawdads. When I drop minnows in the tank, they take their time getting to them. This was the first time I dropped a live crawdad in the tank. I have about four tierra cotta pots in my tank. The warmouth like to hide inside them. I dropped a live crawdad in the tank at a position where the warmouth could not see the craw at all. I didn't even drop it in...I placed it in. Within a split second all four of them came flying out of their holes to slam that crawdiddy. They could feel the difference on their lateral line. They knew it was a crawdad from the sensation it put out in the water. Pretty crazy huh? That really gave a perfect explanation why I catch so many more warmouths in the rivers and streams here using yum 1 inch crawdads as opposed to any other type of panfish lure. They would be using their eyesight instead, but its that instinct. Anyhow....just some cool stuff I have found out.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Warmouth-My Two Cents Worth

Hello Friends, I love to fish for warmouth, I like the way they bite. They are named right. Theu will inhale the bait. It is no nibble nibble with them , One second the cork is there and then it's out of sight and you have a fight on your hands. I agree with crappster, They tast good and have more flesh[ thicker] than a bluegill brim. all in the sun fish family.you can catch them around logs and stumps where they like to hide . Enjoyed this thread, Thanks and good fishing ! Jimmy S.