Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humminbird Matrix 17

easton405 Guest

Default Humminbird Matrix 17

Looking at getting one of these fairly cheap with the gps option; 2 requests from the knowledgable audience:

1) can you install maps on the Matrix 17 and if so what can you install on them?

2) any pros/cons from those folks out there with experience using them.

Thaanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by easton405
    Looking at getting one of these fairly cheap with the gps option; 2 requests from the knowledgable audience:

1) can you install maps on the Matrix 17 and if so what can you install on them?

2) any pros/cons from those folks out there with experience using them.

Thaanks for any help.

I have the Matrix 17. I use it on the bow of my boat and the Matrix 15 by the cockpit. It's a very easy to use unit...as a matter of fact, once it was installed, I made all of my adjustments w/out looking at the manual. As far as the GPS option, I haven't used it...I prefer using my handheld. I can sync my handheld to the unit, but I haven't bought the cable...rather use that money on gas :D
    Fish on!:D

3 Bald Stooges of Percy Priest Lake - Co Founder

easton405 Guest

Thanks for the reply...good to know there is a positive opinion on the Matrix. I think I am going to pull the trigger on it.

Post Thanks / Like

These days, folks like Garmin and some others have come up with really affordable handhelds that offer a lot more flexibility than integrating your GPS in with your fishfinder. You can take the handheld off your boat and use it in you car as well. A nice hand held unit is the Garmin GPS Map 76CSX. Combine it with Blue Chart maps software and you're pretty well set GPS wise.

I have a Matrix 17 I was given. It's simple to use and I really like it. The Matrix 17 is a dual beam and includes temperature sensing in the puck as well.

Dave
    Dave in Statham, GA

Post Thanks / Like

you may look at some of the 700 series humminbirds. I think these are a little more advanced for around the same $$.

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

Queston for you humminbird owners will the gps speed read below 1 mph?
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

Easton, You cannot add maps to the Matrix 17! It can save tracks and waypoints. Also a great fishfinder. The speed will go to about .3 mph accutately. You may want to look at the 383 or the 595 for mappping capabilities. Though, I love the 700 series.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Yes And No

Quote Originally Posted by speck chaser
    Queston for you humminbird owners will the gps speed read below 1 mph?
    It will register a speed but I question how accurate it is. According to our resident Electronics GURU ( AKA Cane Pole ) GPS isn't accurate at speeds of less than about 1.5 mph.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

i have the 717 and find it to be easy to work with and decent detail for the money.

i would recommend it but i think this actual model has been discontinued. but i would get the replacement unit without hesitation.

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

i realize that is what they say i have had a garmin and lowrance
    they would both read down to .3 i was just curious if the humminbirds will read that low. This is how i judge my speed trolling may not be accurate but it works for me.Thamks for the help i have a 787c2i on the way will have to do till i get the 997
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast