Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Motors: Bow and Transom mount...

Post Thanks / Like

Question Trolling Motors: Bow and Transom mount...

This may have been discussed here before but another round wount hurt either!

I have a '77 17.5' Landau Aluminum flat bottom boat, It has a 12/24 volt 45lb MotorGuide Brute on it's bow. Sunday afternoon was spent with two other buddies in the boat and it was a bit of a hassel getting from one end of the boat to the other to operate the electric/gas. Also the trolling rod holders are on the rear and if I go trolling alone I'd be running back and forth being blown to and frow in the wind. I'm contemplating putting a 24V 65lb transom mount on the rear to solve these problems.

What setups do ya'll have and what ideas do you have on this ?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a MK autopilot thing would be what you need although a transom mount would probaly be the best way to leave your motor guide alone. If you get an autopilot odds are you will not have any use for that MG anymore

Post Thanks / Like

If you are fishing alone then putting the trolling motor on the transom would certainly make it easier to access when you are running the gasoline engine. I am assuming that you have a larger gas engine on the transom too. You could troll the boat backward from the transom also and that would slow you down some what which can ge a good thing especially when there is little to no wind and you can't get the boat to go slow enough with the lowest setting on the trolling motor. Now if you troll off the back of the boat this is a good setup. Do you use a depth finder and if so where is the transducer(s) mounted?

If the answer is on the trolling motor then it won't matter where you mount the trolling motor LOL. You can fish right over the top of the fish once you find them on the deph sounder.

If you fish with a trusted friend then either one of you could sit up front and operate the trolling motor if you mounted it on the bow of the boat. Or you can take turns. But then if they are newbies you will have to train them on how to run the trolling motor or the gasoline engine. If you are like me you would rather run the motors yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by FishCrazed

I have a '77 17.5' Landau Aluminum flat bottom boat, It has a 12/24 volt 45lb MotorGuide Brute on it's bow. Sunday afternoon was spent with two other buddies in the boat and it was a bit of a hassel getting from one end of the boat to the other to operate the electric/gas. Also the trolling rod holders are on the rear and if I go trolling alone I'd be running back and forth being blown to and frow in the wind. I'm contemplating putting a 24V 65lb transom mount on the rear to solve these problems.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I fish both a transom and a bow mountand I have found that in the wind the bow mount controlls the boat much better. But that is just my opinion.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishCrazed

I fish from a 14' flat bottom aluminum boat and have trolling motors on both the bow and stern. The bow mount motor has electric steering so I can control it from the back of the boat. The only time I need to go to the front is to stow the bow motor before using the gas engine.

My flat bottom boat's shallow draft doesn't offer much resistance to the wind and I have found it is easier to control with a bow mounted trolling motor and easiest with a motor on each end.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Here goes a wanderous blunder , I ordered a Motorguide transome mount motor (12v) problem being it was for the bow of my boat . Here's the problem , I turned the controls so it would work , pulled the mount and stuff off , now I have 2 speeds forward and 4 reverse .

How does a blundering idiot rewire it so I have 4 forward and 2 reverse ? There were no wiring instructions with it , and since I've already dismantled most of it before I realized my goof was more severe returning it for a bow is now out of the question .
    Last edited by DmDuck; 03-16-2005 at 10:46 PM.
    Jim McIntyre
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Dm duck Electrec trolling motors are DC power you could have just switched the power poles (Positive to negitive,Ect) and the motor willl spin the other way with out damaging anything.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

Here is how i changed my motor.the top cap is 2 halves, there are maybe 6 or so screws holding the halves together.After removing cap there should be a bolt running through bottom halve and motor shaft,remove bolt and rotate shaft 180 deg's,then reassemble.It has been about 4 years since i did this so this is by memory only,it's just easier to hook everything up correctly and have forward and reverse running in the correct direction. Hope this helps
    Paul -- Team Crappie Stalker

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Ok either I'm tremendously lost ....or I explained something wrong

#1 Pulled the top ... turned the shaft , hence the wrong direction

#2 Thanks , tried the ol' reverse the +/- cables , didn't work/why I have no clue

Is there something in the wiring in the controls I need to switch ? I'll retry the +/- thing maybe I was asleep when I tried it .

Thanks Guys
    Jim McIntyre
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Here's another part of my delima, I have a 12/24 volt 45lb 5 speed foot control bow mount MotorGuide Brute but positions 1 & 2 do not work. Not a big deal for the most part cause I can flip it to 12 volt and troll slow. I just got, due to a friends upgrade, a 48lb 12 volt 5 speed MotorGuide FX 5000 bow mount foot w/ control! Should I change out the Brute for the FX or just get my Brute repaired? If I changed them out I will just wire the batteries in parralllel!

If I were gonna sell one of these which one would you buy and why?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast