Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Boat repair question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat repair question

I've had my boat inside for a couple of weeks now doing some preventive maintenance and installing a new graph. I noticed yesterday that underneath my prop there was a small amount of lower unit oil that had leaked onto the floor. I'm guessing I've got a bad seal behind the prop.

Anybody have any experience with replacing these seals. I'm going to remove the prop and see if I can find the source of the leak. Hoping I can make the repair myself.

Glad I've found out about it now rather than later this spring when I'm on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Could just be fishing line wrapped around the shaft
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Brad,

What "color" was the oil?

If it was black or has black mixed in it's a good chance it's just what is running down the exhaust tuner and through the prop. Pull the lower plug and see if any water comes out. Since it has been sitting there should be water coming out when you first unscrew the (lower) plug.

Generally the lower unit oil will not leak from the seals unless they are really bad.

My guess is oil coming from the exhaust which requires no work...other then cleaning it off the floor.

Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with MDCrappie on this.

Jerk out the lower unit drain plug.
    If there is water,,,,,,,,,,,, seal problem.
    Changing the seal is nothing more then taking a tool (I use a dental pick) to pull out the old seal. Using a proper size piece of conduit, tap the new seal back in.

If,,,, there is a problem after that? It more then likely a water pump seal.

StinkiesDaddy
    Just taking the fish line out won't fix the problem.
    Mike

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm on board with mdcrappie. Lots more residue left than you think. Not saying don't be sure, but it could be nuthin. Maybe it's like an old Triumph m/c I used to have- marking it's territory. Might take off the prop and clean it with gunk or something like that, and watch for further progress.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

First things first. Make sure your gasket on the drain plug is in good shape. Secondly, drain the lower unit oil and see if there's water in it. If that's the case, put new gaskets on the fill and drain plug and go fishing. When you get back home, check the oil again, but this time, wait overnight and just remove the drain plug when you check it. If water comes out, you know you have a propshaft seal leaking.

Post Thanks / Like

The easaiest thing for me is to pull my prop and look at the seals. I fsh areas that have lots of trot lines and they have got my seals a few times. On my merc I take a screw driver and push through both seals and without hitting the outer housing flip them out. I then place the seals back to back and drive them in. The thing I make sure of is to use a good lube.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the advice...i'll check the plugs first and then go from there. Hopefully, it won't be to much to worry about.