Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A trick I have used in the spring

Post Thanks / Like

Question A trick I have used in the spring

as my favorite lake's trees and brush rotted away leaving no spawning structure. I trimmed my trees and used single limbs about three feet long and stuck them in the (sand or mud depending on the cove)on the shore line in about one to two feet of water to give them a target for spawing eggs on. I generally start on the east side of a cove in water that will not be as effected by the southwest prevaling wind we have here. This is because the water on the east side of the cove will be warmer as it is in the sun earlier and longer. I stake all the way to the back of the cove. On the west side I stake only about 50 yards or so from the cove opening. Then as the spawn starts I just walk along the bank with my 8' rod and jig and dooddle sock around each stick up. Works great and can usually catch spawing crappie for about 3 weeks, as they seem to come in to the bank in waves for about four to five days and then a day or two of no action and then they start comming in to the shore once more. I usually start putting out limbs in late Jan. and start checking them in mid to late Feb. First the males will come in and start cleaning an area on them for the eggs and then the females will follow any where from a week to three weeks later. Anyway has any one tried this method?

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like money....

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Worked well but the beavers keep taking all the oak limbs. They won't mess with the soft wood branches too much.
    Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Beavers in this lake

and I only hope for them to stay in place till may or so.