Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tied for the first time today

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Tied for the first time today

With all this talk about tying, I thought I would give it a try. If nothing else I could add it to my list of "hobbies" or as my wife says "crap I do for a week and then the ADD kicks in".
    I went to Bass Pro and they did not have a good selection of equipment, but they have good material. I think I got string that is too thin. Made for flys instead of jigs. I picked up some Flashabou, if for no other reason but to tell someone I bought some thing called flashabou. I picked up a couple of fur colors too.
    I must say that what I put together was not pretty but I think they will do. I might try to post some pictures later, but right now I am a little embarrased to do so!
    My wife thanks you all for helping my find my latest hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmbutler47
    With all this talk about tying, I thought I would give it a try. If nothing else I could add it to my list of "hobbies" or as my wife says "crap I do for a week and then the ADD kicks in".
    I went to Bass Pro and they did not have a good selection of equipment, but they have good material. I think I got string that is too thin. Made for flys instead of jigs. I picked up some Flashabou, if for no other reason but to tell someone I bought some thing called flashabou. I picked up a couple of fur colors too.
    I must say that what I put together was not pretty but I think they will do. I might try to post some pictures later, but right now I am a little embarrased to do so!
    My wife thanks you all for helping my find my latest hobby.
    everyone started the same way ,i still have a few of my first flys and jigs i bet yours looks better thean mine.
    go to youtube.com,type in fly tying. lots of good videos,and info.

gators stink

Post Thanks / Like

Just read through some of the how-to threads here and you'll learn in no time.
    For the thread, you can tie with whatever size you want, but you usually match the thread size to the size fly or jig you want. Most jig tiers use a 3/0 thread, I use a flat waxed nylon thread from Danville. The trick is to keep the thread as tight as you can, especially during the first few initial wraps over a material you added as this is when you really lock it down, without breaking it. It takes a lot of practice to get the feel for it. If you want to just practice, you can take a bare hook or jig and just practice with a few wraps so you don't waste material or a lot of thread and practice tying your knots or something to get the feel of how strong the thread is. Hope this helped. If you have any other questions feel free to post a thread and ask.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

y'all will be helpin me soon
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of videos in the archives on this forum. Your wife will be still thanking you for keeping out of her hair.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I too started last night!

I can't decide if it's easier or harder than I expected.

The kit I have came with a video I haven't watched yet....I just did like others and checked out the videos on youtube.

Most of these look like junk, I know.....but the white chenille/chartruese tail one came out the best of my 4. I'm about to start again in a few minutes.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Everybody starts somewhere. I am sure if we all posted pictures of our first efforts it would be a hootenanny. The important thing is than you are having fun and taken that first step. The longest journey you will ever make in your life always starts with a belief and that first step. Good luck to you.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

i bet they will catch fish.

Post Thanks / Like

dmbutler

if i can make a suggeston on thread, get some waxed monacord, good thread easy to use. 1 tip- when you first start your thread, tie it on, then break it with your tying hand, this will let will let you know how tite you canwrap it before it breaks. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone has their own style and type things they use. For thread I like 210 denier flat waxed best for jigs. There is no real reason to use anything smaller for jigs. Flies, yes 6/0 and thinner for the most part, but I even use 210 on it if I can get away with it. I tend to over tighten it and break anything less.

Flat waxed is important I think for several reasons!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast