Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are you finding winter crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where are you finding winter crappie?

I've got the other seasons down pretty good but winter has been kicking my butt. Actually, I did ok in December but January and February have never been kind to me. You're not allowed to sink structure in the lake I fish (city owned) so I have to fish whatever is naturally there. Water temp is 43 and the lake does not freeze over. I'm fishing a small 1,265 acre lake. Flats are 16' deep and the channel runs as deep as 35'-40'. I have never found a drop off on this lake. I'm just not sure where to look for them this time of year. Any help appreciated.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

In my freezer. Just kidding !!! I'd look around those channel edges. The creeks I fish are iced over right now. Going sauger fishing below Meldahl dam tomorrow on the Ohio river.
    Last edited by kycreek; 01-05-2008 at 07:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Tapout, I'm not catching but seein many on the graph, mainly around docks that are near channel ledges near deep water
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Caught these last Sat. fishing points around 27' deep on jigs. There was some brush in the area but the fish were not tight on it. All within 10' though.

Caught these last Sunday on brush piles and condos in 17'-20' on jigs.

In your case i would look for fish or bait near dropoff to channel. Or slow troll minnows in the bottom of the channel under the bait.
    Good fishing.

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Very Nice !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish Ernest. Thanks for the tips.
    1967/68

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64
    I've got the other seasons down pretty good but winter has been kicking my butt. Actually, I did ok in December but January and February have never been kind to me. You're not allowed to sink structure in the lake I fish (city owned) so I have to fish whatever is naturally there. Water temp is 43 and the lake does not freeze over. I'm fishing a small 1,265 acre lake. Flats are 16' deep and the channel runs as deep as 35'-40'. I have never found a drop off on this lake. I'm just not sure where to look for them this time of year. Any help appreciated.
    Hey TapOut64:

I would be looking for them on inside bends of that channel - assuming it's not perfectly straight - and points that extend into the channel. It's taken them a while here this winter but we're finally starting to see a lot more fish hanging around our condos that are on deep points and inside bends of creek channels.

It would sure be helpful if you had some cover to fish around. You might check with the the Lake Manager and see if you can get permission to put some Bamboo Crappie Condos in the lake - assuming you have bamboo in your area. You can refer the Lake Manager to my Habitat page - http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/habitat.htm - so he or she can see what you're talking about. Their main concern is people putting hazardous materials in the lake and as long as you use clean buckets there's nothing in a bamboo crappie condo that would be a problem.

One member here (JCD) not only got permission from the Lake Manager to put Bamboo Crappie Condos in some water supply lakes he fishes but they even helped him put them in! http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...446#post210446
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tap,

I work C&C rigs over channel ledges. fish from 4 to 12 feet deep. work drop offs that are deeper sometimes but don't fish them any deeper. Sometimes on a calm sunny day, they will be up shallow. Catch them in Feb. in canals 2 feet deep! they are in there feeding and it is a feast or famine bite. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Question What Feeds Your Lake

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64
    What feeds your lake? By that I mean is it fed by creeks, a river, drainage pipes with runoff from city streets?
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Good mess of fish Ernest, Was you vertical fishing or casting the jig & then counting it down?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast