Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hummingbird fishin buddy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hummingbird fishin buddy

Hummingbird has come out with 2 portables with side scan for $213 and $223. Why can't they come out a permanent unit at a lower cost?

Post Thanks / Like

Well...the simple answer is there are enough people still paying the 2,000.00 price tag to sell it any cheaper. The permanent ones will go down in the next two years or so. If I was a company though, and people were still buying my product at a certain price, I wouldn't be too inclined to drop the price until I made all I could. No tellling how much it cost to design those things. Don't get me wrong, if they dropped to 1,000 tomorrow I would be looking at them real seriuosly and w/o regret.

CH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieHound
    Well...the simple answer is there are enough people still paying the 2,000.00 price tag to sell it any cheaper. The permanent ones will go down in the next two years or so. If I was a company though, and people were still buying my product at a certain price, I wouldn't be too inclined to drop the price until I made all I could. No tellling how much it cost to design those things. Don't get me wrong, if they dropped to 1,000 tomorrow I would be looking at them real seriuosly and w/o regret.

CH
    The 797 is only $999!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not stating fact, just wondering - I went searching till I found a pic
    of the H'bird fishing buddy, it LOOKS like those other ones that clamp on
    the side of the boat - What were they, bottomline brand??? I'm wondering if they are the same otherwise - if so,
    it ain't the same technology, not even close.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with J White. I have the feeling your mistaken about what ever units your looking at. Some thing doesn't sound right. The transducers alone are more than that.
    WarrenMN
    Last edited by WarrenMN; 01-04-2008 at 07:38 PM.
    I fish, therefore I am

Post Thanks / Like

It does look like the bottom line. Doing a search of hummingbird fishin buddy it says, exclusive sidefinding sonar spots fish all around your boat, out to 120 feet. Simple turn it in the direction you want to search. And with its narrow cone you see the fish on the screen. Then cast in that direction. I think I'll wait on my tax return and buy a 997.

Post Thanks / Like

ok, I googled it. 4 inch black and white low res screen. If you look at prices of any companies units they're pretty much the same and you might say, by the inch and color or not.
    As for how well thats going to show fish, well. I know my 997 doesn't show squat if your not moving so you'd have to be sitting there cranking it back and forth all the time for the side scan to work.

WarrenMN

PS, I didn't find any links to Humminbirds site when I googled it so I went to directly to their site and they don't have any thing about them there.
    Last edited by WarrenMN; 01-04-2008 at 11:09 PM.
    I fish, therefore I am

Post Thanks / Like

The Bottom Line unit shows bottom, structure, and fish on the display. The "Side FINDING" portion displays fish only in a display that resembles the side search cone. This display is inset in the regular bottom display. It gives range only - no depth, no diplay of structure, none of that - and you know the direction because it is straight out from wherever you have the unit pointed.

I believe there is a BIG difference between "Side Finding" and Side Immaging!!!

I have one of these units, and am replacing it with a humminbird PiranahMax 220. The main problem I have with it, is it wants to jump and vibrate and walk out of the clamp on unit at even slow speeds. My Briggs 5 hp idles too fast for it, even though I modified the holder to bolt down tight to my oarlock on my 14' JON. (OK with TM)

What I AM looking forward to trying however, is this. After getting my PiranahMax 220 up and running, I want to try the FishingBuddy as a hand held unit. If I turn the Sidefinding section off, I want to try to "Angle" the unit in the water utilizing the "down" transducer and regular bottom display. I am interested in what that might show. Will be a bit distorted, and probably a bit clumsy, but I'm curious.

Looks to me like the Humminbird and Bottom Line Fishin Buddy units are now one in the same.
    Last edited by Calico Kid; 01-04-2008 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Add comment
    "You ain't holdin' your mouth right! Did ya spit on your hook?"
    Grandpa

Post Thanks / Like

These fishin buddies use the same old LCR technology, nothing comparing to a sideimager. A side imager uses similiar technology to an ultrasound. The screenshots are very detailed.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up 797 for $850

Quote Originally Posted by crappielimits
    The 797 is only $999!
    You can get the 797 with out the preloaded Nav maps for $850 at www.jandhproducts.com :D
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast