Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Barometric Pressure?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Barometric Pressure?

Ok, I've heard different stories about the best times to catch the fish. Rising pressure, falling pressure...... does anyone know for sure the best time that barometric pressure influences our friend, Mr. Crappie to snap up the bait?

Here's what I'm going by now;

Lower than 29.5 is good and higher than 30.4 is good. Anything between these readings is poor.
    AMERICANS: Willing to cross a frozen river to kill you, in your sleep, on Christmas, totally not kidding, we've done it.

Post Thanks / Like

An article in Crappie Magazine a few years back written by Guy Winters from Missouri reported the ideal pressure is between 29.8 and 30.2. He has a good article on this if you have access to back issures. If you are interested, I will try and find the issure that had the article. Let me know.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I would appreciate it if you have access and can post a link to it here. I know it is important and useful if you want to catch fish. I've been spending a lot of time on Lake Longmire just east of Pauls Valley, but its dead for crappie right now.

You can see them darken the screen on the fishfinder, but they are not biting. I've been going faithfully almost everyday for six weeks, and only caught one.

Usually at my spot, I don't have time to bait my 2nd pole because the crappie will start biting immediately. But not this year, not yet. I can't get them to bite. I even strum my guitar and sing to them, nothing.

I've dropped several hundred pounds of hog-pellets over the last six weeks.........nothing. Promised all of them I wouldn't keep them if they would only bite..........nothing. They must have known I was lying.

Yea, if you would, please share that article since I have plenty of time to read. Not like I am short of time catching crappie.

thanks, Jim
    AMERICANS: Willing to cross a frozen river to kill you, in your sleep, on Christmas, totally not kidding, we've done it.

Post Thanks / Like

Dropping pressure usually triggers fish to bite. Key is DROPPING.....after the pressure stops dropping they will almost stop feeding(unless the drop was very minute). From what I understand a fish's swim bladder is directly affected by barometric pressure. When the pressure drops it relieves pressure on the swim bladder. I have read that some think when the swim bladder shrinks it makes them think they have more room to eat. ANyway it has been my own findings that fish will gorge themselves when a freont rolls through especially during summer. After the front rolls through and the pressure stabilizes or begins to rise it cause3s discomfort cuz the swim bladder expands so they only feed when its convenient till the pressure levels out or till they feel comfortable. Thats what I understand from what I read. I believe it cuz I have caught all my biggest fish right before a storm and lots of em and after the storm they wouldnt bite if I paid em

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been keeping a log for many years now. One of my entries is starting and ending barometric pressure. There have been a few exceptions, but normally I catch more fish on a rising pressure. I also have one of those fishing barometers. According to it, the best time is between 29.8 and 30.2. Lower is poor and higher is average. Like I said, there are always exceptions, but it seems to be fairly accurate. It looks something like this:http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...results1.jhtml
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Jim - I found the article on how rising or falling barometer affects fishing by Guy Winters. It is in the April 1996 issue of Crappie World on page 22. I thought it was an excellent article. If you don't have that issue, check your private message board.
    Ken
    Ken