Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need salamonie update

gator36 Guest

Default Need salamonie update

Anyone been around salamonie this month. I assume the ice is clearing off and there is some open water? Is Dora the only place to launch or is Mt. Etna ready? I have done some pond fishing for bluegill but I'm getting anxious to get the boat on the water and bring some nice slabs home.

Post Thanks / Like

From my experience you probably won't be able to get a boat in yet. We used to take a flat bottom john boat and drag it thru the sand at the bottom of the ramp. I had a freind that was up there a while back and said they had barriers at the top of the ramps. Treepotato could probably give you more current info. though. I do not book guide trips until late april or early may due to the water levels being so low. Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gator36
    Anyone been around salamonie this month. I assume the ice is clearing off and there is some open water? Is Dora the only place to launch or is Mt. Etna ready? I have done some pond fishing for bluegill but I'm getting anxious to get the boat on the water and bring some nice slabs home.
    Hi Gator, The salamonie is still the same as it was in my reply on 3-15. Patrick is right about the baracades at the top of the ramp at dora. They are the high water baracades that the DNR put up last month when the water was at flood stage but I don't know why they never took them down. The temps are supposed to hit the 65 deg. mark at the middle of next week and sometimes when that happens this time of year the crappie really turn on for awhile. Just looking at the dora ramp it appears you could launch there. If things work out right I am going to try to put in there tuesday and wednesday afternoons. I will let you know how it went. ..........treepotato
    PS...Hey Patrick, How's it goin? How's the tournaments been going?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile WWWWWWWWaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzz up

waz up tree ? Just been hangin' out bitin' at the bit. First tourney isn't until the 9th of april on Caesers creek in ohio. My sons pretty fired up about it. We've been debating on fishing it because there is a wrestling tournament that same weekend we'd like to go to. I am managing his little league team this year so we will not be going to any tourneys to speak of. I am gonna have to try and see if my other coaches will let me be gone the weekend of the regionals over in shelbyville illinois. It falls on the same day our baseball tourney kicks off. Too much for the time. whooooooo !!! Any way, I am gonna try and sneek up to salamonie next weekend if I can. I might even take a day off this week and go. Them slabs will be easy pickins right now. It's to bad you have to cull 20 dinks to get a good one. We usually average around 150 to 200 fish on any given daY up there and I'm starting to miss that. I have been thinkin about coming up there to get me a gobbler. Have you seen many around ?
    I 'll holler at ya later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Vowell
    waz up tree ? Just been hangin' out bitin' at the bit. First tourney isn't until the 9th of april on Caesers creek in ohio. My sons pretty fired up about it. We've been debating on fishing it because there is a wrestling tournament that same weekend we'd like to go to. I am managing his little league team this year so we will not be going to any tourneys to speak of. I am gonna have to try and see if my other coaches will let me be gone the weekend of the regionals over in shelbyville illinois. It falls on the same day our baseball tourney kicks off. Too much for the time. whooooooo !!! Any way, I am gonna try and sneek up to salamonie next weekend if I can. I might even take a day off this week and go. Them slabs will be easy pickins right now. It's to bad you have to cull 20 dinks to get a good one. We usually average around 150 to 200 fish on any given daY up there and I'm starting to miss that. I have been thinkin about coming up there to get me a gobbler. Have you seen many around ?
    I 'll holler at ya later.
    Hi ya Patrick! Wrestling tournament? Are you talking highschool or jr high wrestling? If you are man my family has the wrestling bug bad in our blood! My son just started college this year but he had a great wrestling career in highschool. He started in 7th grade and came one match from going to state his junior year, wow what fun times that was!
    I am also gonna try to get out on the water this week, maybe tuesday and wednesday. Theyre calling for temps in the 70s those two days and I can't wait. Was invited to fish a green carp tournament saturday the 1st on tippy so I'll have to skip the crappies that day . If your up here tuesday or wednesday afternoon I'll keep an eye out for ya. I'll be at dora driving a 2000 silver f-150 pickup with a chicago cubs plate on the front and pulling a tracker. If you see me give me a holler. What would you be driving and I'll look for ya? As far as the gobblers go this place is crawlin with em. I didn't get my name in to be drawn so I don't know if I'll chase them this year or not.
    Well good luck to you and your son on those tournaments I hope you tear em up!!! I would love to get involved with those myself, it sounds like alot of fun.
    Good luck to ya!.......treepotato

Post Thanks / Like

So you have to be drawn up there to hunt em'?