Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Batteries

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Batteries

Wow, it took almost a gallon of water to fill up my two trolling batteries. didn't think they'd be that low
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you may be getting redy to purchase some new batteries. I would almost bet that you have some bad cell's in the battery if they got that low. If you have to ger a new set think about Big Mammas, I have had a set for 6 years. I know this is hard to believe but I check water 2 to 3 times a year and only put distiled water in them, and charge them as soon as I get in frome fishing. Larie Nixon told me that what he does is use two chargers, one on each battery on two amps only.

Post Thanks / Like

I would take them to an autoparts store and have them charged on a big charger that will put a good charge on them and them have them checked on a checker that will show you how many amps they are holding vs the amps they are rated for. Wait overnight and have the same check done again without recharging. This will show you how the battery is holding a charge and whether it is fully charging to it's capacity. I know O'reilly Auto Parts has those checkers and I would guess others do also.
    Delco group 31 deep cycle batteries are the best for my money. Optima also makes a group 31 but other than their indestructability I see no other advantage to them and they are very expensive.

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

These still hold a good charge. I might check carry and have them checked anyway.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

I got lucky and was able to purchase a couple of jelco batteries for $20 each that are used for electric wheelchairs. Totally maintenance free and they last for the duration of the fishing trip. I use one for the trolling motor and one for the lights if I'm night fishing.

Check with any company that provides electric wheelchairs because these batteries are routinely replaced whether they are bad or not and the two I have work like new.

Good luck!
    AMERICANS: Willing to cross a frozen river to kill you, in your sleep, on Christmas, totally not kidding, we've done it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkfinger
    I got lucky and was able to purchase a couple of jelco batteries for $20 each that are used for electric wheelchairs. Totally maintenance free and they last for the duration of the fishing trip. I use one for the trolling motor and one for the lights if I'm night fishing.

Check with any company that provides electric wheelchairs because these batteries are routinely replaced whether they are bad or not and the two I have work like new.

Good luck!
    I have heard something similar about the electric wheelchair batteries......they are not only smaller, but they last a long time.....
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a new Optima. It sure is heavy. It will be a while before I know if it any better than any other battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redtick
    I just bought a new Optima. It sure is heavy. It will be a while before I know if it any better than any other battery.
    Definitely let us know, because I may be interested next trip around....is it one of those Gel type?
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a great article about batteries...

http://www.fishingalabama.com/batteries.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishCrazed
    Here's a great article about batteries...

http://www.fishingalabama.com/batteries.htm
    Thanks man...I am gonna read that now actually!!
    ><)))*>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast