Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A couple longlining questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Default A couple longlining questions.

What pound test line do you prefer to use when long-lining? Anyone have a chart that shows, for x amount of feet out with a jig that weighs x, going a certain speed, how many feet down your jig is?

January and February are typically tough months for me. I thought I might do some long-lining in search of the ever elusive crappie.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I always use 6 lb test. But as far as the chart, all I have is the redneck physics chart in my head. . . . . . . which rarely works

Post Thanks / Like

6lb for me also. A couple of times i went to 4lb to go deeper but didnt really see much difference. 6lb Wally Marshall cammo
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Ditto on the 6lb

I have used 4-8 lb depending on the structure underwater and the depth the fish are holding and the speed you run. The 6 lb has good strength and yet small enough diameter to allow the bait to get down. I have run as many as 12 lines from my boat on small planers 6-left and 6-right during the prespawn from late Jan. early April. You need help in the boat to run this # of lines. It's a constant thing to work the lines but worth it. Our baits vary from 1-2 jigs of 1/16 oz and up to 1-2 jigs of 1/8 oz pulled at a GPS speed of .6 mph to 1.2 mph. for averages. Good luck.

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

what size planner boards do you use
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

6 lb Sufix Seige Line on B'n'M poles Cast as far as you cast...
    1/32 oz jig pulled .7 mph = 4 to 6 feet deep
    1/24 oz jig pulled .7 mph = 7 to 9 feet deep
    1/16 oz jig pulled .7 mph = 10 to 12 feet deep
    You can vary the depth of your jigs pretty easy by speeding up or slowing down your trolling speed - dont be afraid to pull 1.0 mph or faster. Target creek channels with spawning flats close by this is where crappie will be in the prespawn mode and are suspended in large schools. This usaully happens when the water temps reaches the 48 to 50 degrees range here on Weiss Lake. Remeber this if you are not catching any fish 9 times out of 10 you are pulling to deep or to slow - speed up till you start getting bites...
    Hope this helps
    Good Fishin...
    Kelly Matthews
    Weiss Lake Guide Service
    www.weisslakeguideservices.com

Post Thanks / Like

That's a great "chart" Kelly. Pretty much what I had in my head... but it's nice to see it in writing.
    Richard Simms
    Editor, CrappieNOW

Post Thanks / Like

Default might try

You may want to try any braid that is rated 10/2, it will troll deeper than mono, but shallower than 6 lb flouro, which tends to sink faster than braids or mono, its a little tricky using it on planner boards though