Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about a night light for night fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default question about a night light for night fishing

me and the buds are gonna do some night fishing this year. any ideas on lights in and out of water?

ironbeer

Post Thanks / Like

IMO-anything submersible. My favorite is a flounder gigging light. They put out a lot of light probably more than anything else you can buy. Also, I like the Starfire Q-beam at Wal-Mart. A friend of mine made his own set of lights that runs off AC with a generator. Those lights will light up just about the whole lake, but all of his stuff takes up a lot of room.

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

You can pick-up a floating fishing light at Wal-Mart that works great. I recommend with any light that you carry an extra battery just to run your lights. Don't want to run down the cranking battery.
    Good Luck
    sethook

James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above.......

Post Thanks / Like

I have only gone a few times but I learned that I need 4 lights.

One for the crappie (Wal-Mart starfire hanging 2 feet deep)

One to illuminate the inside of the boat. (aluminum clamp on droplight with 12 volt bulb)

One for me (battery powered headlamp)

One 12 volt spotlight to see while the boat is underway.

I also bring spares for the above lights and a couple of flashlights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jem270
    I have only gone a few times but I learned that I need 4 lights.

One for the crappie (Wal-Mart starfire hanging 2 feet deep)

One to illuminate the inside of the boat. (aluminum clamp on droplight with 12 volt bulb)

One for me (battery powered headlamp)

One 12 volt spotlight to see while the boat is underway.

I also bring spares for the above lights and a couple of flashlights.
    I also use a starfire and clamp on's. The starfire's are cheap at walmart, but work really good.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We use 2 or 3 starfires and a couple of clamp on lights mounted on PVC poles. I usually carry 3 batteries since the cold weather kills the batteries quicker than warm weather does. 2 would probably be fine, but since I got the room I haul a spare.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I found some 12v, 30w flourecent bulbs online that are awesome in the clamp on's. They throw significantly more light than a 110, 100w floodlight bulb and draw little on the battery. As a test I ran mine for 2 days straight and the battery was still up over 50%. If you get one the only other light needed will be the starfire in the water.

fishhunter775 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a light that is outstanding.Ive used one for a couple of years with great results.http://cgi.ebay.com/48-OR-24-GREEN-F...QQcmdZViewItem

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

the generator thing is the most popular among the shrimpers in FL, but really need a pontoon for that. starfires work well, but they like to eat batteries. i used a 50 watt 12 v bulb ih a rubber socket and siliconed it in, then added a wieght to the wire. bulb floats up, let it down however far you want. po folks has po ways!!
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lanterns

I use two lanterns hung from the cleats with Cabelas latern holders. These latern holders are awsome. Adjustable and strong and fold up to go back under the seat when you are not using them. Maybe it's just a mental thing for me, but I believe nothing beats natural light and flames from laterns attract minnows by the hundreds every time I go.

slabjigger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast