Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This might sound redneck as heck but...

Post Thanks / Like

Default This might sound redneck as heck but...

I'm about to start getting into the world of tying my own jigs.....both hair/fur jigs for crappie as well as bigger 3/8 & 1/4 oz jigs for bass.

My question is, are there fur types that you just can't use? I see a lot of talk about rabbit & bucktail but I'm curious what features one would look for in "hair".

Can I take a snippet off my beige cocker spaniel LMAO!

Post Thanks / Like

lol, I was researching around the net on hair types & it looks like someone beat me to it.

http://fishthat.com/?p=70

Post Thanks / Like

Over the years I have tied/tried just about every kind of hair there is around my neck of the woods. There is nothing like keeping a pair of sharp sheers and some ziplocs behind the truck seat for a road kill robbery...lol. Just stay away from OWLS and HAWKS. The feathers may look VERY TEMPTING but the CONSEQUENCE IS NOT WORTH THE EFFORT...THOSE FEDERAL GUYS FROWN HIGHLY ON THAT SORTA THING.....

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend that makes some nice looking ones from tree rats. Squirrels. Fox squirrels make the best looking ones.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

You might be a redneck if " You tie crappie jigs out of the hair off your wife's coat".

I'm quilty.
    No really ,Keep your eyes open at Yard sales for those fur wraps. Some of the best crappie jigs I have came from hair that I got off of a white fur wrap . Bought it at a yard sale for $2.00
    "Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."
    - Tony Blake

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep your eyes open at flea markets and discount stores around Halloween. You can get some brilliantly chartreuse craft hair and flourescent orange craft hair then especially 75% off after the holidays. I did find me a Davey Crocket hat at one flea market and cut off the racoon tail. Made some nice and effective jigs out of that too. A few years ago I found a redfox neck wrap at Goodwill. That was some good material too.

Other than that I pretty much stick to kip, squirrel, marabou and sometimes polar as my choices.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 12-30-2007 at 07:07 PM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Rabbit and or Squirrel strips...

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Some dog hair will work too. I make one with hair off of our polmeranian and caught fish on it. Looked like it was alive underwater. I made some from kiptail and bucktail. I tried the rabbit fur, but to me it was hard to work with. Squirrell makes a nice jig as does racoon hair.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking fur

Ran out of ideas a while back, well we have a siamese cat that hangs out around here and has a really (had)bushy tail makes a real nice jig plus its a renewable source of material. The cat didnt care just slipped him a little tuna.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously any hair will work. When you get a haircut at BPS St. Louis they will take your hair and tie a fly from it.
    Let me ask you, if you catch a fish on that is that the fish biting you?
    Jerry Hamon
    Van Alstyne, Texas
    http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/texascrappiefisherman/MSKFCPRES_zps568e5f40.jpg

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast