Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Fox & Roadrunner Fishing Tips???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blue Fox & Roadrunner Fishing Tips???

I recently ordered some of the "Blue Fox Big Crappie Jigs" from BPS, & they have now arrived. They are 1/16 size. Some with chartreuse skirts and some with white shirts.

I also found some Roadrunner jigs yesterday at Wally World. They have maribou skirts.

Would anyone share with me some tips on HOW to fish these various types of jigs? I can imagine that they can be trolled & also cast with a slow retrieve. How about fishing them under a slip bobber?

Other ideas?

Tugaloo

Post Thanks / Like

No response? Maybe I wasted my money buying these jigs. I thought they were supposed to be pretty good stuff

Tugaloo

Post Thanks / Like

here in Texas alot of people use road runners,trolled or slow retreive.I have a whole box that are just RRs and inlines.everybody has an opinion,but you have to have confidence that your baits WILL catch fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not familiar with blue fox but most jigs can be used under a bobber.
    The roadrunners have a blade and are best cast and retrived or trolled. Some people troll using a jig or minnow under a bobber. I have never done that so I am unsure if a roadrunner blade would turn at that speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Road Runners, Blue Fox Jigs

Tugaloo - the road runners are considered good lures. They can be cast out toward cover or bank by themselves, cast under a float to slow it down some, and trolled behind the boat. All work. If you got the Blue Fox inline spinners (like a Mepps or Rooster Tail) they can be cast or trolled. I usually use a swivel ahead of inline spinners as I feel they will twist the line. These are good lures that just about anything will hit. Hope yours get bit ! Good Luck, JimA

Post Thanks / Like

Default Road Runner

Crappie Thunder Road Runner, Curly Tail Road Runner and Bubble Belly Road Runner work mostly chartreuse variations. Jimmy Houston used the Thunder today on TV. Bill Dance uses the Bubble Belly on Reelfoot Lake. They both caught crappie. I have used the Curly Tail with some success. Cast them and reel them slowly. I have used the Beetle Spin. These baits will catch Brim, Stripe, Bass and Crappie. lol
    Today is a great day

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie often bite roadrunners on the fall so for me, a stop and go retrieve works well. Like they advertize roadrunners, the only way to fish them wrong is to not fish them slow.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Hey Tug ...

I generally just cast and retrieve Roadrunners ... and usually a little faster retrieve than when using a tube jig - just to make sure the blade spins. I have trolled them before ... flatline behind the boat, 4-8ft of water, running on #2/#3 on a 5speed trolling motor. Caught a lot of nice fish doing that, too. But, I've caught a lot more casting it (probably because I cast a lot more than troll ...LOL!!)
    As far as using them under a float .... what the hey ? Shoot ...if Jimmy Houston can catch Crappie on a Roadrunner - VERTICAL JIGGING - I don't see why you couldn't catch them on one under a float :D !!
    Just remember - they aren't weedless !! That's why I like to cast them in open water situations .... like shallow banks with pea gravel, bridges, outside edges of docks, etc.

I'm not familiar with the BFBC jigs ... but, I do know they make some good ones. I just haven't bought any of their products in a long time.

A little tip for you ..... if you get hits on the marabou Roadrunners, but don't stick any fish on the hookset - try this --> cut the marabou tail down about half Sometimes it can be Bluegill or small Crappie, nipping at the tail ... but, sometimes it can be good sized Crappie doing the same (kinda taste testing it). I've found them more likely to suck the whole jig in, when the tail is shortened, and not nibble at the tail. And you'll probably catch more of those little "nipper" Bluegill, too ! ...........luck2ya ........cp

Post Thanks / Like

A tip on the Blue Fox jigs, if they are the "roadrunner" like ones, they work very well. I cast them with a slow retrieve, or a slow retrieve with a tip dropping action to give them "fall", both with success. My tip, though, is be careful fishing them in wood and brush. The hooks they use are tempered and very stout, and where I buy those jigs they run over $2 a piece. if you hook solid wood, they don't bend, and you break your line an lose the jigs. I have lost several, and since have switched to bulk roadrunners that I can add curly tails to. Much easier on the wallet.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw someone mention the blue fox jigs on here & so I looked them up on the BPS website & ordered them. They do NOT have a spinner blade like the roadrunner. It's just a small jig with a funky looking head and a plastic skirt. But it also has a little clear plastic tube with a couple of small "bird shot" inside. A rattle to attract fish.

I thot putting them under a slip bobber & letting the waves kind of bounce the bobber & so bounce the jig and rattle the rattle might be effective. My problem, tho, is still knowing where to fish, & before I can do that, I've got to get my boat motor fixed, & before I can do that, I've got to get some time off so I can take it to the repair guy.

Looks like I may get to fish again about July!

I hope it's sooner.

Tugaloo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast