Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any open water at Wilhelm?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any open water at Wilhelm?

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone has any info on Wilhelm? I would like to know if there is any open water at the upper end near the propagation area? I know it's been pretty cold lately, but it usually starts opening up in March. I would like to get up there fishing when it's open. Thanks in advance for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

I was there fishing saturday morning by the dam and the ice was a good 10" maybe a little more. It was consistant, everwhere I drilled the ice was the same thickness. We have never fished any farther up the lake than launch 2 so I'm not sure what the propagation area looks like. Fishing was kinda slow sat. morning.

REDNECK

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Redneck. Did you notice if any trees or brush piles on the ice? Sometimes some are placed there so they sink when the ice melts. Just wondering if you saw anything?

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I went up 79 to PI last sunday and as i was crossing the lake i noticed everything was still locked up solid.Same thing coming home at 4:pm. I couldn't see below the bridge but both north and south of it was frozen. While going north i saw a shanty to my right about 1/2 mile south of the bridge. It was gone when i came back pass later.

Post Thanks / Like

I never got into the ice fishing. Tried it about 15 yrs ago, but never got serious. I'm itching for some open water. My son bought me a Rapala's Pro Fishing game for the X-box at Christmastime. I've been catching Bass, Walleye, Musky, and Pike on it for the last few months, but it just isn't the same as fishing for crappie. Come On Spring!!!!
    (I apologize to you ice fisherman, but you've had your chance)

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke
    I never got into the ice fishing. Tried it about 15 yrs ago, but never got serious. I'm itching for some open water. My son bought me a Rapala's Pro Fishing game for the X-box at Christmastime. I've been catching Bass, Walleye, Musky, and Pike on it for the last few months, but it just isn't the same as fishing for crappie. Come On Spring!!!!
    (I apologize to you ice fisherman, but you've had your chance)
    Dont count us out just yet.... Presque Isle will still be safe this weekend. Been getting some real nice panfish there. I'll dust off the boat next week.... maybe. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Ice Off

Ice is all gone! Alot of guys are catching their limit on both causeways wit bluegills and perch mixed in.(also alot of shad) I was there for about 2 hours yesterday. I caught about 60 fish but only about 15 keepers.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff,
    Were you up by the propagation area? I was wondering how they were doing up there? I see you are in Sandy Lake. It must be nice to live that close to the lake. Do you get to fish it much?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Zeke; 04-01-2005 at 08:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Zeke
    I went to the causeway first thing this morning but did not do very good on crappie but alot of jumbo perch were being caught on maggots. In mid morning I went on the old roadbed at the propogation area caught alot of gills but all really small.
    I work out of town so I don't get to fish as much as i'd like.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff,
    Last year in late March and early April they were doing pretty good in the little cove between the propagation wire and the bridge. I thought maybe they would be hitting there by now, but the weatherman is calling for cold and snow Sunday. If it warms up again next week I would like to get up there and give it a try. Good luck with your fishing.
    P.S. - Please keep me posted on the bite up there. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast