Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey shoer, Danish Aebliskiver ???

hawkman is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey shoer, Danish Aebliskiver ???

Thought that would get your attention. I read your post on the cookie iron. Very interesting & the cookies looked good too. Being the head chef around here I am the one that gets the kitchen utensils for Christmas. My wife tells everyone I like to cook, I tell them I really just like to eat regular! Anyway, I like to try new & different things. My daughter got me this for Christmas.

Having no idea what it was & being a good father, I acted properly surprised & appreciative & researched it later on the net. Seems it makes some kind of round pancake balls. Not just the boring, flat, everyday pancake that was discovered when a cavehawkman spilled some wet flour on a hot rock beside the fire. Guess he had to do the cooking too. Was wondering if anyone had experience with one of these or maybe some recipes. Could it be adapted to make crappie balls or something?
    Crappie fishing is my lighthouse of sanity in an insane world,
    It keeps me from crashing on the rocky shores of everyday life.
    Crappie.com is my beacon of light!

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely. You da man now. Heres a link to a small neighboring farming community where I come from that is predominently Danish. EVERYONE knows what an aebilskiver is where I come from. The Plains States are inhabited like that-in a 20 mile radius of Tyler there are communities that are, and celebrate:
    Ghent, MN Belgian Belgian-American Days
    Ivanhoe MN Polish Polska Kielbasa Days
    Minneota, MN Icelandic
    St Leo, MN German
    etc..............

You can see by browsing the site what they look like.
    Although we did not have an iron in my family we are very familiar. If you want I can put my sis on it, she lives there and no doubt can come up with 20 women have recipes just by asking at work.
    Dont use it for a lead mold, make some aebelskivers man!!!!!

http://www.aebleskiverdays.com/

you can e-mail that committee too. These are kind Minn farmers, I bet you get a response and recipes.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

Default tried them today

Couldn't get the email link to work on the website so I found a couple of recipes on the net. Pretty good. A little more labor intensive than regular pancakes but worth the extra effort. Added some cooked apples to some of them, you can see them in the middle of one in the bowl. With some fake maple syrup & powdered sugar got my reccomended daily allowance of sweets in one meal. Daughter was here, made her happy because I used the pan.

Post Thanks / Like

Those look great. Can you ship some of those. lol
    sethook

James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above.......

Post Thanks / Like

If my grandchildren see this I willl not have any peace until I am the owner of one of them and fix them round pancakes. Perhaps I can find one in the Charlotte area.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can't find one locally, you can order it from Amazon.com The grandkids would love 'em.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...+pan&x=19&y=21

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have to flip them while cooking or will they get done all the way through without flipping?
    Thanks
    sethook

James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sethook
    Do you have to flip them while cooking or will they get done all the way through without flipping?
    Thanks
    Yes you do have to turn them to get them done evenly all around & give them the rounded shape. The pan is non-stick & you put oil or butter in before the batter so it is no problem. I turn them 1/4 turn then 1/4 turn again to finish them off. Here is the recipe I found, there is a cookbook on the Amazon site. I might order it or have jeff put his sister to work finding some recipes. I also used self rising flour & left out the salt, baking powder, & baking soda.

Danish Aebleskiver Recipe

Makes about 2 dozen

2 eggs
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cup buttermilk
    4 tablespoons butter
    Confectioner's sugar
    Optional: apple slices or other fruit

Beat egg yolks until light and fluffy, then add the sugar and salt.

Sift the flour with baking powder and baking soda, then add it to the egg mixture, alternating small amounts with the addition of the buttermilk, as you continue mixing.

Beat the egg whites until stiff, then gently fold them into the batter.

Heat the Aebleskiver pan. Place approximately 1/2 teaspoon of butter in each cup and heat until foamy.

Drop batter into cups, filling each about 2/3 full.

If you wish to use apple slices or other fruit, drop a slice in the center of each cavity.

Cook over medium heat until browned and crisp on bottom.

Turn each cake with a fork to cook the other side.

The Aebleskiver is done when a toothpick, or cake tester, inserted in the center comes out clean.

Remove cakes from pan and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar, if desired. Best when served warm.

Variations:

They can be served with ice cream, powdered sugar, bananas, chocolate sauce, and other sweets.

They are nice as a snack with hot chocolate and whipped cream. Also great as a dessert with liqueur and ice cream.

You can also fill the inside by pouring some batter in the mould, adding a teaspoon of your filling, and covering with another layer of batter.

Sweet fillings can include: Jam, raisins, pieces of apple, marzipan (almond paste), pieces of banana, pieces of chocolates.

Savory fillings can include: Butter cheese with herbs, grated old cheese, strips of bacon, strips of salami.

Post Thanks / Like

You did GOOD Hawkman!! You did the Danes proud.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe this. I found a cast iron skillet a couple years back looks just like this. Didn't know what it was for. Made some interesting looking cornbread balls with it but was thinking about using it for a lead ingot mold. You live and learn...I am gonna make me some ableskydivers...aedibleskinnydipper...ah...round pancakes....
    A man is not judged by what he has done for himself but by what he has done for others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast