Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: deep fry frozen

Post Thanks / Like

Default deep fry frozen

can you give me some tips on deep fry frozen bone in crappie or is it even practical
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Oh, Yeah ...

Quote Originally Posted by painterfish
    can you give me some tips on deep fry frozen bone in crappie or is it even practical
    it's been done !! Just as long as the fish isn't too big to go into the deep fry pan, you're good. Just thaw them out, let them get to room temp, coat them with whatever pleases you, and fry them up. They don't take long to cook, either. The meat actually cooks faster than the coating ... or, in other words, the meat is done before the coating gets browned (or crispy, whatever your taste happens to be).
    For my own personal taste ... I prefer the bone in/skin on method of Crappie cleaning/frying/eating. Especially with fresh caught fish, that have not been frozen. I don't usually season them ... and only coat them with plain yellow corn meal. The skin adds a sweet/nutty taste to the fish, and most seasonings overpower the taste of the Crappie (skin/meat). But, to each his/her own ....

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiepappy is right on. I keep around 10 pound in the feezer at all times. I freeze them in cut off milk jugs. Then I reuse the jugs. I store my fillets in zip lock freezer bags with plenty of water to cover them good. They usually don't last long enough to worry about frezer burn.
    Gone Fishing

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trumpdriver
    Crappiepappy is right on. I keep around 10 pound in the feezer at all times. I freeze them in cut off milk jugs. Then I reuse the jugs. I store my fillets in zip lock freezer bags with plenty of water to cover them good. They usually don't last long enough to worry about frezer burn.
    Actually I prefer the smaller crappie bone-in but since I've bought an electric fish fillet knife and learned how to use it I havent cleaned a fish and left the bone in since. The fillet knife just makes it too easy and alot less mess.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

You can also cook'em frozen,they usually will start floating when done.

Either frozen or thawed,invest a few bucks on a oil thermometer-try to keep your oil at a steady 360ish