Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spider rig spinning reel advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default spider rig spinning reel advice

Got some mad money the wife has not found out about and need to get it spent quick. Im looking at some affordable spinning reels to put on my B&M slotroller/black widow's. I need to pick up 8 of em so I don't want to spend more than 25.00 a reel. Sure would appreciate any thoughts from you fellow cheap minded anglers

Post Thanks / Like

Several good ones out there, but hard to beat the Mitchell Avocet's. You can pick them up for around $20.00. Most of my outfits have a Mitchell, but I recently bought two Guide Series from Gander mountain for the same price. Nice compact little spinning reels that go great on a crappie pole.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Im started out with Avocets but have finally changed almost all of them out for Quantum SS10's. You have to be very careful not overtightening the drag nuts on the Avocets or they'll pop. Those little brass nuts inside the plastic caps just aint strong enough. IMO, the Quantums have a better drag. They sell for @ $21 each at Walmart.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Cabela's has the Zebco Slab Seeker depth locator reels, either spincast or spinning on sale for $13.88 right now if you might be interested in those.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...DL10&noImage=0
    Last edited by stevem; 12-29-2007 at 08:21 PM.
    West Alabama Crappie Association
    Tenn-Tom Crappie Club

Life is short...Do it now !!

Post Thanks / Like

Fisherman's Factory Outlet .com good prices & sometime free shipping

Post Thanks / Like

mitchells are the best in my opinion.
    WE NEED MORE COWBELL

Post Thanks / Like

The Mitchell reels posted above are some of my favorites as well as Shimano...just don't buy those mini Wall Marshall reels at BPS. I have three of them and all three have been broken/returned. They sell for a good price but just do not hold up. The rods are OK but stay away from the reels.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Gabowman, if the Quantum reels you refer to are the small Grey ones that come with an extra spool, be sure to open the drags dead loose when you're thru using them. Leaving them tight will compress the drag discs and the adjustment will go from dead loose to dead tight in 1/4 turn- impossible to get right at that point. IMHO the small shakespeare $18 model in the same size has a better drag system and have worked well for me for the 2 yrs since selling the quantums. I have also bought 3 of the gander guide series recently and like them alot. The infinite anti reverse adds to the overall smooth operation of those that I have.
    Last edited by skeetbum; 12-30-2007 at 09:02 AM.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad
    Several good ones out there, but hard to beat the Mitchell Avocet's. You can pick them up for around $20.00. Most of my outfits have a Mitchell, but I recently bought two Guide Series from Gander mountain for the same price. Nice compact little spinning reels that go great on a crappie pole.
    Mitchell makes a very nice reel and not to pricey
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman
    Im started out with Avocets but have finally changed almost all of them out for Quantum SS10's. You have to be very careful not overtightening the drag nuts on the Avocets or they'll pop. Those little brass nuts inside the plastic caps just aint strong enough. IMO, the Quantums have a better drag. They sell for @ $21 each at Walmart.

I have not had this problen and own 4 advocets, but the quantun is another good option
    Stinkies Daddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast