Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: feeding question

Post Thanks / Like

Default feeding question

some of the crappie we have caught in 1 day will be full of shad and some of them might not have any in them. if these crappie fill up on minnows one day, how long before they feed again?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink grundan ....

Quote Originally Posted by grundan
    some of the crappie we have caught in 1 day will be full of shad and some of them might not have any in them. if these crappie fill up on minnows one day, how long before they feed again?
    that depends on water temps, at the depth the fish are holding/feeding ... since water temps dictate the speed of the fish's metabolism.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

And fish may still bite in what is known as a reaction bite--basically, baits may trigger them because it makes them mad or it's just too good to pass up. Same reason some types of spawning fish (walleye come to mind) can still be caught during spawn, even though they supposedly don't feed. 'Course it's a heckava lot easier if they are feeding! :D

Post Thanks / Like

I can attest to fished-out's post....I once caught a large musky (49 1/2" 39lbs) that had bass over 12" hanging out of it's throat. Can't believe with taht bass swallowed down to his tail fin that it would have even thought about taking another bait.

Makes me wonder what percentage of fish we catch from reaction over hunger.