Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What and Where @38

Post Thanks / Like

Default What and Where @38

My home lake is a 2800+ acres Ohio Highland Reservoir. It starts off as a creek and ends at the dam in 1oo+ ft deep. http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9...aps/pub285.gif I was out today in the coldest water I have ever fished 38-degree surface temp. Where do you think is a good area to start and what might work best this time of year and temp?? It is a fair crappie lake with a 9"limit. I was using KY rig with 1/32 jig/minnow (15" off the bottom) and plain minnow (6" off the bottom), fishing on a ledge with weeds in 17-23fow. I caught 1 small crappie and 3 large white bass, just off the boat ramp by the camp ground (top right on map). There was a slight breeze (3-9 mph). I was drifting along the ledge with the trolling motor assist. The deepest water in that section is around 35 ft deep. THAT WATER IS COLD!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would say head to the head waters/river or creek that flows in and fish ledges. The water should be warmer here, though crappies metabolism really slows from 45 degrees down! I say that is tough fishing, come south with the waterfowl!

Post Thanks / Like

If the north shore has any shallow (<6 foot), mud bottom, I'd poke around there in the early morning. Fish wooden structure and don't be afraid to fish near the surface.