Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shape difference between Black and White Crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shape difference between Black and White Crappie?

Is there a shape difference between the two on your lake? Here on Blackshear, the blacks I catch are shaped almost like a plate. High arching back and deep belly. The whites are much more streamlined. The blacks are much more thick also. I get much better filets of them. Anybody else notice this?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Weird ain't it?!?

Quote Originally Posted by crappster
    Is there a shape difference between the two on your lake? Here on Blackshear, the blacks I catch are shaped almost like a plate. High arching back and deep belly. The whites are much more streamlined. The blacks are much more thick also. I get much better filets of them. Anybody else notice this?
    Seems your findings are more the rule than the exception. I've experienced the same thing in many different states and bodies of water. It is really stange how the same species can grow and develop so differently, even within the same colors of fish too.
    <,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Yep,here Their The Same-blacks Kinda Football Shaped,whites More Steamlined & Thinner Usually !!now The Black-nosed Seem To Have The Football Shape And The Lenghth .good Thick Bodied,hard Fighters !! Good Fishin To Ya!!!dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't paid much attention to shape, but one has five dorsal fin spikes and the other has seven, sorry can't remember which is which.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meat on the Table
    I haven't paid much attention to shape, but one has five dorsal fin spikes and the other has seven, sorry can't remember which is which.
    White - 5/6 dorsal, black - 7/8 dorsal is I remember correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

shape differences disappear after the fourth year, in my humble experience. dorsals are the key difference, color and shape are not good traits for identification. My two cents. both good eating but the black 3 or 4 year old may have bigger fillets.