Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: thought's on smithville's regulation's

Post Thanks / Like

Default thought's on smithville's regulation's

hello fellow fisherman, been wondering this for awhile now. i was curious on what you guy's thought about the way smithville manage's there crappie. now i realize that there nice size slab's in there but what iv'e been wondering is that it seem's like it could be so much better. i don't know for how long but for as long as i can remember there's alway's been plenty of crappie in there just no size. when they started stocking a lot of walleye i heard from a lot of people it would kill the crappie and bass fishing, bass seem to be growing just fine. iv'e done a lot of research and read a lot of article's over the year's about management and thing's of that nature. from what iv'e learned it seem's that the lake would we managed a little differently. i have a lot of buddy's that have had great success out there but its the same song and dance, for the most part hundred's upon hundred's of dink's. here's my question's. would it help if say for like 2 or 3 year's in a row, say you could only keep fish under 8 inches and you could keep 30. would that maybe help let the borderline one's grow a little and weed out some of the chip's. seem's to be filled with 7 to 8 1/2 incher's year after year. or maybe be able to keep 50 under 9 inches daily for X amount of year's. basically whatever ratio as far as size and limit would work best for it to produce more fish over 10 plus inches. i read an article few year's back that all the walleye would put a hurt'n on the bass. did'nt seem to affect them. there's a ton of big bass in there as well as walleye and catfish. why not the crappie? there producing enough every year. sorry for rambling but wanting some insight cuz it make's since that it could be managed a little differently for it to be a bigger producing lake in the future. would like to hear what some of ya think. have i just been reading a bunch of false information all these year's:D :D :D

jeff the crappieslayer
    why do today what you can put off til tomorrow, go fishing instead!!!

Post Thanks / Like

that's a good one Jeff. maby a deluge of email from a bunch of fishermen would get the MDC to listen or maby go to one of there meetings and just ask the question sometimes that works they may know what is going on but no one has complained to them so they dont fix the problem

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with beagle. I would attend a meeting, take as many people as you can find that share your opinion and present your proposal. If you are off base they can explain why. Then they will at least know that someone cares about the crappie population in that lake.

Post Thanks / Like

i think the lake would be better served by not allowing any fish between 9 -11 inches being taken. and make the limit at least 30 with no size limit . like you said there are lots of crappie(small) in the lake and i belive its due to the fact that you can only keep 15./9 inches or bigger. i think 2 years would do the trick.
    attending a mdc meeting with a plan in hand would go along way
    Supreme Leader of the Missouri Crappie Militia.........