Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Any electrical 110 versus 220 experts?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Any electrical 110 versus 220 experts?

For years, I always thought that if I had a choice for a motor to wire it for 110, or 220 to go the 220 route, because it only consumed 1/2 the power. But in my old age, when wireing up my irregation pump on my dock for my irregation system, I got to thinking, on 110 it uses 8 amps but on 220 it uses 4 amps per leg, so it must use the same amount of power, for both. Can someone clarify this issue for me? If you have a choice, is there a preference, and why? In other words if 220 is best, which I have always heard and thought (I am 71 yrs young), what exactly is the advantage.?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lakeman
    For years, I always thought that if I had a choice for a motor to wire it for 110, or 220 to go the 220 route, because it only consumed 1/2 the power. But in my old age, when wireing up my irregation pump on my dock for my irregation system, I got to thinking, on 110 it uses 8 amps but on 220 it uses 4 amps per leg, so it must use the same amount of power, for both. Can someone clarify this issue for me? If you have a choice, is there a preference, and why? In other words if 220 is best, which I have always heard and thought (I am 71 yrs young), what exactly is the advantage.?
    You don't need clarifying, you are exactly right: They use the same power. Higher voltage gives you either twice the power with the same wires, or smaller wires for the same power. Very significant on a long run.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Well put

Well put Catfan ::
    Power is measured in watts . 8 amps @110 = 8 x110=880 watts..4 amps @220=4x220=880 watts. A 1/2 hp. motor is 1/2 hp.at either voltage..
    Ledhed