Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need advice - handheld gps and console depthfinder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need advice - handheld gps and console depthfinder

Merry Christmas, all. Mrs. Santa told me to go ahead and pick up a handheld GPS for Christmas. Bugman, Beagleman and many of my buddies down here is Missouri use a Garmin E-Trex Legend. My buddy Mr. Baker has all Lowrance equipment, and I'd like to be able to get waypoints from each of them. I know there's been alot of discussion about what is the best console sonar-gps unit to have, and Hummingbird has some awesome features, but frankly, being a lifelong Lowrance guy, I'm leaning toward a Lowrance 500 series for my console. If that's the case, is there any disadvantage to using a Garmin hand held and using a Lowrance on the console? Will I encounter any problems transferring waypoints? If so, I'd go with a Lowrance hand held. What do you think? I appreciate the info, and hope all of you and all of your familes have a Merry Christmas and a Crappie New Year.

Jim
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are concerned about them having different file formats, here is a program that will convert hundreds of different file formats to what you need:

http://www.gpsbabel.org/

It is freeware, but they do ask for donations on their web page. I use the program to convert my Garmin .gdb files to Lowrance .loc files for my iFinder H20c.

Hope that helps,
    Jeff

P.S. If you prefer Lowrance, you might want to consider a combo GPS/Sonar unit. With GPSBabel, you can get your buddy's files and convert 'em before loading them in the Lowrance.
    Skeeter Jeff
    Indianapolis, IN

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jeff. I appreciate the help. Merry Christmas.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the handheld. I have a Garmin e-trex Venture. I like it because I can take it anywhere. Hard to do with console mounts. I take when I go with on trips when my boat does not go. Also nice on my boat because I do not have a console GPS and If I did I probually would'nt have one in front of my boat but still can carry my handheld to the front to troll from waypoint to waypoint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiehnt
    I like the handheld. I have a Garmin e-trex Venture. I like it because I can take it anywhere. Hard to do with console mounts. I take when I go with on trips when my boat does not go. Also nice on my boat because I do not have a console GPS and If I did I probually would'nt have one in front of my boat but still can carry my handheld to the front to troll from waypoint to waypoint.
    I got and do the same thing, works great.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

I choose the 76CSx for the versatility. I wanted something for the airplane, the boat, the truck and the field. So far, its been everywhere except the airplane.
    I'm pleased with it but it appears that software is limited for this unit.