Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what hair to use

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question what hair to use

Hello fishing friends and a Merry Christmas to all of you. I have just started tying a few jig and find it so much fun, something great to do when you can't go fishing. I have been using marabou for my jigs and just got my hands on some bucktails in various colors. I find that the bucktail jigs look great, by my opinion, but I find that they are rather stiff. Is there a hair or fur that is better to use to get jigs with the action similar to marabou. I remember years ago buying polar hair jigs which seem to breath in the water much like marabou. I see that there are hundreds of material for tying, some natural and some man made, and I wouldn't like to buy all of them to find a few that I would use. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    From the bayou,
    PawPaw "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

fishhunter775 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

PawPaw I like to use craft hair and a good place to get it is from Punisher jigs http://www.punisherlures.com/compone...art/itemid,78/ it works like the polar hair and is easy to work with.Hope this helps and Merry Christmas to everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishhunter775
    PawPaw I like to use craft hair and a good place to get it is from Punisher jigs http://www.punisherlures.com/compone...art/itemid,78/ it works like the polar hair and is easy to work with.Hope this helps and Merry Christmas to everyone.
    How long is the hair? It sure looks good, And what size patches does it come in?
    Thanks for the link.
    Pete

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Crappie like buck tails too.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

pawpaw "gene" i like to use dyed kip tails (calf tails) easy to work with and not as stiff as bucktails. here is a sight you can order from that is the cheapeast i've found . www.chuckandeb.com

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go with kiptails also. Easier to work with and not stiff like a bucktail.

fishhunter775 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Pete the patches are approx 4 inch by 12 inch I can get around 36 crappie jigs from one piece.The hair is around 2 3/4 to 3 inch at the longest.It has a mat mixture of differant lengths just like a bucktail short to longest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishhunter775
    Pete the patches are approx 4 inch by 12 inch I can get around 36 crappie jigs from one piece.The hair is around 2 3/4 to 3 inch at the longest.It has a mat mixture of differant lengths just like a bucktail short to longest.
    Thanks that is what I need. The length is about right. Guess I will order about 10 colors next week. Again thanks for the link.:D
    Pete

PS the other link did not work for me. But this one did.
    http://chuckanddeb.com/

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I also will use kip, squirrel, craft hairs. I really like Marabou though.

The F-n-F was originally designed using craft doll hair.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 12-27-2007 at 06:41 PM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to own my own jig business but had to sale because of health. I have used different types of tails for jigs but I always come back to the marabou because of the action it has in the water. In my opinion it has a better movement than any of the other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast