Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Logan Martin 3-13-05

Post Thanks / Like

Default Logan Martin 3-13-05

We didn't brave the wind Saturday, and should have stayed home yesterday too. The wind yesterday wasn't too bad (WSW@ about 10mph) and we figured that the 70+ air temps this weekend might warm up some crappie action. We were wrong. We tried boat docks and channel edges from midway to the mouth of rabbit branch without a hit. Next a large cove off the main lake-which is almost always a crappie spawn honeyhole and has been good already this year- produced nothing. Water temps were 53 on the main lake and 54-58 in the cove and Rabbit Branch. We finally put away the crappie gear and ran up Clear Creek where we took a couple of spotted and hybrid bass from 60-62 degree water we found along a bank which was facing the wind. The depthfinder showed a lot of fish suspended at 15-25 feet at the mouths of creeks and bays, but we didn't fish for them. My guess is that the depthfinder fish included crappie that had moved back out to pre-spawn staging behavior. Back at the marina I heard that one boat caught a lot of crappie way up at the top of Clear Creek.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donr
    We didn't brave the wind Saturday, and should have stayed home yesterday too. The wind yesterday wasn't too bad (WSW@ about 10mph) and we figured that the 70+ air temps this weekend might warm up some crappie action. We were wrong. We tried boat docks and channel edges from midway to the mouth of rabbit branch without a hit. Next a large cove off the main lake-which is almost always a crappie spawn honeyhole and has been good already this year- produced nothing. Water temps were 53 on the main lake and 54-58 in the cove and Rabbit Branch. We finally put away the crappie gear and ran up Clear Creek where we took a couple of spotted and hybrid bass from 60-62 degree water we found along a bank which was facing the wind. The depthfinder showed a lot of fish suspended at 15-25 feet at the mouths of creeks and bays, but we didn't fish for them. My guess is that the depthfinder fish included crappie that had moved back out to pre-spawn staging behavior. Back at the marina I heard that one boat caught a lot of crappie way up at the top of Clear Creek.
    We fished West Point this weekend and they were not shallow really at all....we caught most of our in 16 - 25 ft of water somewhere down around and below 10ft deep.
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>