Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: big spooled spinning reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default big spooled spinning reels

Hey boys whats up? I wanted to tell you guys about those big spooled reels if you havent tried one. I had been looking at a us super caster. There a bit pricey and I got that hee haw luck you know gloom dispare and agony on me. My tranny in my truck went out my spare car a jeep wrangler that has never had a bolt turned on it all of a sudden it needs front and rear brakes, universals and a raideator. My mom, dad, wife, two boys have birthdays its CHRISTmas then my anniversary. So money is thin to say the least but I did scrape up enuff for a bass pro extreame spinning reel.
    Man I fished 1/2 a day last saturday and not 1 line problem. No twist or anything. I does cast better also. Its not shimano quality but what is. The only thing I noticed was the drag isnt super smooth. If I used heavy line more I wouldnt care. But on cherokee where I fish you almost always catch some spotted bas and an accational smallmouth. I use 4# most of the time exept when Im fishing crappie sliders in wood. So I wish the drag was smoother but it does fish good. I got the bass pro extreame 1000 size. I just wished shimano made one.
    NOW GO CATCH SOME CRAPPIE
    Last edited by T-roy 120; 12-22-2007 at 01:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default big spool

I have wanted a big spoll UL reel for a while but they either all have small spools or are huge reels. I dont think I nee 1000yards of 6# on my reel. What reel are you using?
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

Im sorry, I didnt put the brand of reel I bought. I went back and edited my post. Its a Bass pro extreame 1000. It has a short but big dia. spool. It holds alot of line. Im the same as you I dont need 1000 yards of line either. I use 8# or 6# backing. That is to take up all the space you dont need. I tie a 4# main line to the backing with (i think its called a blood knot) then fill the spool the rest of the way up with about 80 yrds. of the 4#.
    Last edited by T-roy 120; 12-22-2007 at 01:17 PM.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a filler on all my reels so as not to waste prefectly good line. I nite fish so about all I really need is 30' of line but I usually put 100-150 feet on top of the filler line. One thing I have found out is the line doesnt retain memory as bad when using larger spools versus the small diameter spools. I'm still working on weeding out those small diameter spool reels now. Something to look at for replacements.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Troy ....

Quote Originally Posted by T-roy 120
    Hey boys whats up? I wanted to tell you guys about those big spooled reels if you havent tried one. I had been looking at a us super caster. There a bit pricey and I got that hee haw luck you know gloom dispare and agony on me. My tranny in my truck went out my spare car a jeep wrangler that has never had a bolt turned on it all of a sudden it needs front and rear brakes, universals and a raideator. My mom, dad, wife, two boys have birthdays its CHRISTmas then my anniversary. So money is thin to say the least but I did scrape up enuff for a bass pro extreame spinning reel.
    Man I fished 1/2 a day last saturday and not 1 line problem. No twist or anything. I does cast better also. Its not shimano quality but what is. The only thing I noticed was the drag isnt super smooth. If I used heavy line more I wouldnt care. But on cherokee where I fish you almost always catch some spotted bas and an accational smallmouth. I use 4# most of the time exept when Im fishing crappie sliders in wood. So I wish the drag was smoother but it does fish good. I got the bass pro extreame 1000 size. I just wished shimano made one.
    NOW GO CATCH SOME CRAPPIE

If the drag isn't smooth enough for you ... lighten it up just a tad.
    If the Bass are a problem, learn how to "backwind" as a way to lessen the need for a smooth drag.
    Thanks for the report on this reel. Feel free to report on the continuing performance, or problems that you encounter.

... luck2ya ... cp