Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Saturday and Sunday Blackshear Report

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saturday and Sunday Blackshear Report

Braved the wind on Saturday. Started out under the veteran state park bridge hoping to take some cover from the wind. That lasted all of about 2 hours. I couldn't stay under there. Thought about trying the tailrace below the dam...but upon arriving there. The wind was still getting down in there and the current was pretty swift...muddy water too. So went up to Smoake. Notice the wind was cutting from an angle. Decided to give it a try. Was able to tie off to the pilings and fish vertical. Ended the day at 4 pm with 10 crappie and 2 white bass. Caught all on shiners. Four of those crappie were slabs. Stayed the night in Cordele, and got out to Smoake early Sunday at first light. Tried the advice of Papasage and did some trolling around the pilings. Picked up about five before the wind picked up. Forced me to tie of to the pilings. Picked up five more by noon. All on shiners. Was going to call it a day. I decided to try the shallow are between the pilings and rocks on the right side of the bridge facing west. Tossing a black and chartreuse slider, caught a crappie first cast. uh oh. Tied off to the piling and started casting. Caught two nice slabs. Then they quit. So I tried the other side of the bridge, the other shallow area next to the rocks. Three nice slabs. Anyhow, hopped back and forth until 3 pm and limited out with 30. 20 in about two hours. Left em biting. They were in about 5 feet of water right next to the pilings. They were moving shallow. Or feeding shallow anyhow. They wouldn't hit any other lures. Tried everything. Just the black and treuse slider. Real soft bite too. And only on a slow retrieve and letting it drop every three feet, then reel again. Everyone of them hit it on the drop. Also caught two more white bass. Talked to Rusty Parker on the way out at the ramp. He was going to the bridge too. He probably cleaned house. Anyhow....I am very very thankful to catch these fish with the wind blowing the way it was this weekend. Water temp under Smoake was 56 degrees. Water temp in veteran state park area was 54 and 57 in shallow water around the trees. Tried the trees again and nothing in there yet. Think I'm going to get back to Blackshear on Thursday. Hope someone can use this info in the next couple of days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappster
    Braved the wind on Saturday. Started out under the veteran state park bridge hoping to take some cover from the wind. That lasted all of about 2 hours. I couldn't stay under there. Thought about trying the tailrace below the dam...but upon arriving there. The wind was still getting down in there and the current was pretty swift...muddy water too. So went up to Smoake. Notice the wind was cutting from an angle. Decided to give it a try. Was able to tie off to the pilings and fish vertical. Ended the day at 4 pm with 10 crappie and 2 white bass. Caught all on shiners. Four of those crappie were slabs. Stayed the night in Cordele, and got out to Smoake early Sunday at first light. Tried the advice of Papasage and did some trolling around the pilings. Picked up about five before the wind picked up. Forced me to tie of to the pilings. Picked up five more by noon. All on shiners. Was going to call it a day. I decided to try the shallow are between the pilings and rocks on the right side of the bridge facing west. Tossing a black and chartreuse slider, caught a crappie first cast. uh oh. Tied off to the piling and started casting. Caught two nice slabs. Then they quit. So I tried the other side of the bridge, the other shallow area next to the rocks. Three nice slabs. Anyhow, hopped back and forth until 3 pm and limited out with 30. 20 in about two hours. Left em biting. They were in about 5 feet of water right next to the pilings. They were moving shallow. Or feeding shallow anyhow. They wouldn't hit any other lures. Tried everything. Just the black and treuse slider. Real soft bite too. And only on a slow retrieve and letting it drop every three feet, then reel again. Everyone of them hit it on the drop. Also caught two more white bass. Talked to Rusty Parker on the way out at the ramp. He was going to the bridge too. He probably cleaned house. Anyhow....I am very very thankful to catch these fish with the wind blowing the way it was this weekend. Water temp under Smoake was 56 degrees. Water temp in veteran state park area was 54 and 57 in shallow water around the trees. Tried the trees again and nothing in there yet. Think I'm going to get back to Blackshear on Thursday. Hope someone can use this info in the next couple of days.

Congrats on the catch you must be a real good fisherman several locals all stiked out gonna have to get a lesson from you one day.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes we just stumble on to things. I was just about to call it a day yesterday at noon. Luckily I decided to make a couple of casts shallow. Without yesterday afternoon, I woulnd't have had much to talk about. I think any of us could have caught a few fish on the Smoake bridge pilings Saturday or Sunday. Especially since I was dropping down fat 3 inch shiners. They were not really biting, but occassionally one can't resist one of those shiners.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

glad you did good started to go to smoke bridge but changed my mind . after gitting to the R R trussel and the wend wish i had . but was there and the finder showed a lot of fish so i desided to try . think they are gitting itchey to spon and maby next weekin they will be mooved or mooving in . papasage
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Crappster, good to hear you figured them out up there. Was going to go up Sunday morning but decided against it with the wind blowing like it was.

I'm going back up there either Thursday/Friday of this week or Monday/Tuesday of next depending on the weather. I may see you there.