Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How deep?

NIMROD is online now Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How deep?

I hear about these fishermen on other lakes catching Crappie deep in winter. They fish mostly clear lakes that are deep. Well I fish a mostly dingy flood control lake which is mostly shallow. What little winter fishing I've done has produced mainly dinks as deep as 18'? We have a river channel that has some 25' + deep holes. Should I try to drop a brushpile in that deep of water for this winter. I know that we usually don't have much of a thermacline because the lake gets flushed out often being a flood control lake. Also fish tend to stay shallow in some bodies of water year round if it's dingy.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

A brush pile in the deepest water would be a good idea. It would work for those tough Winter and Summer days. On warm and sunny days in the winter the fish will come up towards the surface in dingy water so check all your shallow spots like laydowns, stake beds, etc...
    I hope this helps!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

I put structure out every trip this time of year, and our lake is around 60 ft deep, and dingy we put all most all our stuff out at 18 to 22, can pay off real nice and don't them cold water crappie taste real clean,,merry christmas.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nimrod, down here in Ga. we do have a lake turnover in the winter and once that has happened when the water temps gets down around 45-50 degrees you can catch fish right off the bottom fishing 30+' of water. Sometimes you'll catch 'em in the 8-10' depth range over 30' of water. Just gotta find a pattern on where they are at feeding at on a given nite. (I mostly nite fish.)
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.