Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need help choosing new line please.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help choosing new line please.

I want to try some of the new (cloth i think) line or whatever the line is made from, or fireline?? Don't know what fireline is made from. I have heard that some lines are a magnet to gather everything that floats in the water, DON"T want that!! I want something thin and tough, around a 4 lb. diameter. What do i need to buy. Thanks for any help with this question.

Post Thanks / Like

Try some powerpro line, you can get some strong line @ small diameter. I like the 10 lb test/2 lb line diameter. They have it at some tackle shops or cabelas. It is kind of costly up front, but this doesnt need to be replaced as often as mono line.

www.powerpro.com
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default line.

Is the "powe pro" the all new super dooper line everybody is flocking to?? Who makes it and is it all of what the web site says it is? What about "fireline" is this a good line as well? Thanks for the comeback.

Post Thanks / Like

Default stren

I would take Stren Super Braid over fireline anyday. Some love the fireline though. Personal preference
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lum
    I want to try some of the new (cloth i think) line or whatever the line is made from, or fireline?? Don't know what fireline is made from. I have heard that some lines are a magnet to gather everything that floats in the water, DON"T want that!! I want something thin and tough, around a 4 lb. diameter. What do i need to buy. Thanks for any help with this question.
    I have not made the switch to superbraids yet because of the amount of time I get hung up in a day...I still use Mr. Crappie 4lb test, that you can get at BPS. It cost $ 6.49 for 3100 yds......
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Line

Ga. Boy, I like tae73 like power pro line the best. I have tried a lot of lines and I go back to power pro, I also like the 10\2 the best. I suggest you try the 8 lb. first. Open the spool at the tackle shop and feel the line and look at the dia. of the line. It is super strong and you will save a lot of jigs. Warning! it will cut your hands if you grab it and pull with your bare hands.. Whatever you decide ,good luck.by the way, how did you do sat. Jimmy S.

Post Thanks / Like

I might give it a try, just probably not until I run out of Mr. Crappie line first......

I already bought some 15/4 for a bass rod I rarely use....and I know it looks great and casts great, but I might make the switch some day soon.

On Saturday at West Point, we finished 8th out of 41 registered amateurs, I don't think some even showed up to the weigh-in though. We got a small paycheck $ 250. Our best 7 fish weighed in at 9.97 lbs...I wasn't all that pleased with the quality of fish, but considering the conditions we were lucky to have them....it was hard work to get those....we ended up with about 21 fish all day......TOUGH CONDITIONS though!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyS
    Ga. Boy, I like tae73 like power pro line the best. I have tried a lot of lines and I go back to power pro, I also like the 10\2 the best. I suggest you try the 8 lb. first. Open the spool at the tackle shop and feel the line and look at the dia. of the line. It is super strong and you will save a lot of jigs. Warning! it will cut your hands if you grab it and pull with your bare hands.. Whatever you decide ,good luck.by the way, how did you do sat. Jimmy S.
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Default Match line to use

It is best to match the line to the way you fish. If you are casting to laydowns or submerged structure using jigs or a hook and split shot combination a 10/2 superline such as Berkley fireline may be best as it has low visability, high sensitivity to allow strike detection, and a 10 lb. break point that may allow you to straighten the hook rather than brake the line. Putting all that pressure on the line may disturb the structre causing the fish to leave for awhil, however.
    If you pull as GA boy does, you will want a line that breaks easily as you get hung up a lot and want to break off easily.
    There are many different wayes to fish for crappie, match your line to the type fishing you are doing. It may take more than one type line to cover all situations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whizkids
    It is best to match the line to the way you fish. If you are casting to laydowns or submerged structure using jigs or a hook and split shot combination a 10/2 superline such as Berkley fireline may be best as it has low visability, high sensitivity to allow strike detection, and a 10 lb. break point that may allow you to straighten the hook rather than brake the line. Putting all that pressure on the line may disturb the structre causing the fish to leave for awhil, however.
    If you pull as GA boy does, you will want a line that breaks easily as you get hung up a lot and want to break off easily.
    There are many different wayes to fish for crappie, match your line to the type fishing you are doing. It may take more than one type line to cover all situations.
    Correct, now if I were fishing differently, (i.e. tight-lining, etc.) I might consider having some higher strength line......but when I am in there amongst the timber trying to yank out some fish I may end up with 2 - 3 rods getting hung at the same time, so I want something that breaks fairly easily....
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

I started using the flame green Fireline (6 lb/2 lb dia.) this year. I like it. I like being able to see the bright color. In my area the Power Pro doesn't have the loud colors or I would try it because you get a smaller dia. and stronger test. I used 4 lb. mono for years but always wanted to have a little more casting distance. Anything smaller than 4 lb. line was just to weak for me. This stuff cast good enough for me. Give it a try then report what you think.
    Trump is like the guy that comes on the playground and beats up on the guys that's been pushing you around for the last 30 or 40 years.