Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: California Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default California Crappie

Where are some good crappie lakes in Southern California?
    Seems like people are only interested in Bass, catfish, and trout.

I remember seeing crappie on Irvine lake's pamphlet under fish that they stock, but wonder if anyone has caught any? I know they have big tilapia...
    Your not fishing, unless your crappie fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie

Piru is the best I know of around where i live. Ive seen some good reports out the the marina cove at Casitas, almost all of the lakes further south should have really good crappie fishing. Then you got Isabella, very good crappie lake if your willing to drive up. I was at one of those pay lakes when they drained it, no cover, lots of shad and lots of fish, I dont remember which lake it was but but I took a whole truck load of fish for a relatives pond and there were some nice crappie in there. Where do you live?
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

I live in louisiana now, but have family from Long Beach to Sacramento. I use to fish saltwater when I lived out there. I was just looking for some crappie lakes when I come to visit. What's the range as far as length?

Post Thanks / Like

Default length

all depends on the year and the lake and the spot. Isabella always reports a bunch of 1.5 to 2# in the spring. As with crappie at time we get alot of little ones and other times we may get a bunch running 10-12". Lots of reports of 1-1.5 from piru at times. When I caught my 2.3 at piru every other crappie we caught was small to me, 7-8". YOu should have tons of crappie fishing in louisiana ???

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah there's so many places to fish out here. So much visible structure.
    The slabs get fairly large. I've seen many from a gravel pit 16-18". The largest from a river I fish has been 17". Sometimes it's hard to put them on a pattern.

I've gotten a lot of my honey holes from a guy I use to work with. In the winter when the river gets clear he dives for pictures. I've been trying to get some of the pictures from him. They are amazing! There's an old wooden ship that I pull a lot of my winter slabs off, it's sitting in 54' of water. They seem to hang around 30' and go as deep as the ship.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a lot of fishing at Lopez when I was stationed out there. But Piru is a good crappie lake too.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Hey crappiencali,
    It's good to here from you again. Are you back in the States?
    Lopez is getting low again. All the lake are getting low. we need some good rain and lots of it. Just renewed my lake permit $$$ ouch !!!
    Take care buddy

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I have been home since late Oct. I have been doing a lot of fishing and catching a lot of good fish. Been out four times in the last 8 days and have caught limits of big crappie. Had a couple that pushed 2#. Hope things are going well with you.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Default piru lake

Quote Originally Posted by robbor
    all depends on the year and the lake and the spot. Isabella always reports a bunch of 1.5 to 2# in the spring. As with crappie at time we get alot of little ones and other times we may get a bunch running 10-12". Lots of reports of 1-1.5 from piru at times. When I caught my 2.3 at piru every other crappie we caught was small to me, 7-8". YOu should have tons of crappie fishing in louisiana ???
    i all the time what do you need to know
    " SLABS ARE FUN TO CATCH "

Post Thanks / Like

Default ???

You lost me mike. You want to know where/how at piru???