Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: planer boards

Post Thanks / Like

Default planer boards

Have yall ever used a planer board crappie fishin ?
    It is most fortunate for those in power that people don't think :::A.Hitler

Post Thanks / Like

A little info here.

http://www.crappie.com/jeff/

This is mainly on walleyes but may help.

http://www.walleyecentral.com/articles/?c=4
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default only one

I was thinkin maybe I was the only one to use'em.I striper fish a lot and catch some big crappie on these things,yeop,they'll bite a 3 inch blueback herring...When that happens it gets punched into the gps right away...future reference,,also found they'll hit a stick bait too...fine eating , bettern them stripers...ss

Post Thanks / Like

Does p board size matter. Do you run a seperate line to the boards with releases, or are they attached to the line on your rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Barndog showed me how to use Off Shore Planer Boards for Crappie.
    This is the site where I found them the least expensive.
    http://www.walleyecentral.com/offshore/index.htm

It requires a good investment for these boards, but with the $17.50 tattle tail addition, the flag goes down and you don't have to look for the board to fall back.

We also use line counter reels to measure line out from lure to snap weight (if you use a snap weight). Distance snap weight to board and Distance from board to the rod.

If you don't want to invest too much too quick go with the shorter less expensive variety.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

biggest crappie I ever caught was on a planner board trolling for Northern Pike. It hit the Large spinner bait I was using and went 2.25 Lbs. This was before I got hooked on Crappie fishing and I've never caught one close to that big since.

Post Thanks / Like

Default water buggz

I like these little boards ,they dont weigh nuthin hardly and plane bettern most others I find( at least in my boat),I also use small crank baits with'em to,with maybe a split shot up the line a little ways to get a little depth...Set my drag lite on a 10 ft whuppin stick,,hang on and dont get in a rush...leave a few fer seed,,,ss

Post Thanks / Like

I'v been trolling for crappie for the last 4 years since moving to Mo. from Wi. and had some good success. The article by Jeff on Crappie.com has a lot of good info and should help any one learn to troll with boards and crank baits. I use the Offshore boards with the tattle tail flag system and it helps see when a fish hits or if your dragging a small fish or your lure is fouled. I also use snap weights to get the lures down faster with out putting out a lot of line. I mainly troll after the spawn and in to the summer when the fish move out to open and deeper water. It also seems that I catch bigger fish trolling. I mainly troll Bandits in the 200 and 300 series and small #4 or #5 shad raps. You never know what your going to catch trolling I've caught catfish over 12# and a lot of bass even a walleye every now and then. As for speed I try to stay around 1.4 to 1.9 on a gps reading. I also work the edges were the flats end and the breaks to deeper water starts. Sometimes just a little speed or slowdown can trigger the fish to bite I also do alot of turns one way then back again to trigger them. Hope this helps you.

RICK

EVERY FISH IS A MEMORY SOME ARE JUST BIGGER

Post Thanks / Like

Default that fast

As for speed I try to stay around 1.4 to 1.9 on a gps reading.,,wow ,,I try and stay under 1 mph and realy closer to .5 ,maybe I aint goin fast enuff...but my line tangle is a lot less the slower I go,thats 4 sure,,and the minnows dont get drunk goin round & around,,,ketch 1 fer Ma,she's hongry,,,ss

Post Thanks / Like

We pullin 300 series, hard plastic diving rattling "minners" goin that speed :D
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast