Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish Weight Calculations ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish Weight Calculations ?

I caught a large crappie on KY lake last fall that weighed 2.2 lbs on my scale. I later found out that my scale was off, when my partner caught a 4.5 lb largemough and my scale only weighed it at 3 lbs. I found one of those fish weight estimators and put in the length 16" and girth 13" and it showed to weigh over 3 lb. Anybody have any experience with these and are they fairly accurate?

Post Thanks / Like

I"ve Had The Same Problems With Scales Mis-weighing!! I"ve Had Several Brands-rapala,normark,ect.i"m Open To Sugestions On A Acurate Scale Or Good Formula Too? Good Fishin To Ya!!!!dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Grillgod unless you have the fish frozen or something I would not worry about it, just get a better scale for next time. If your fish was 16"x13" then it was probaly more then 2.2 but with out having it there its useless to speculate. Sorry, sounds like it was a huge slab though.

Post Thanks / Like

Grillgod - would you mind sharing your formula for calculating the weight of a crappie from its length and girth. Thanks!!
    Ken

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

According to a handy dandy scale I got at BPS, a 16" Crappie would go about 3.4 lbs.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

the calculation for weight is girth x girth x length/800. This calculation is accurate but does not work on crappie( the shape of the fish ).
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

Kokanee King - Years ago I saw formulas for different fish. The main part of the formula was girth x girth x length / x. The number for x varied according to the species of fish and I thought there was one for crappie. I just can't remember the numer they gave for crappie or where I saw the formula.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

You may try calling your local fisherys department or conservation department. They should have a formula for figuring out a fishes weight.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Just found a section in the 2005 Illinois Fishing Information booklet called "Weigh your fish with a ruler." It gives formulas for walleye, northern pike, muskie, bass, trout, catfish, and sunfish. Nothing on crappie. Guess you could use the one for sunfish which is: length x length x lenght/1,200. The formula given by Kokanee King is the one the booklet lists for trout. If anybody is weighing their crappie and wants to try this formula, let me know how accurate it is. Here in central Illinois it is and has been cold, windy, with high water. It may be a few weeks before I get out.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Default not sure about that one

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    According to a handy dandy scale I got at BPS, a 16" Crappie would go about 3.4 lbs.

A 16" crappie weight will vary depending on what part of the country you catch it in.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast