Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line Twisting?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line Twisting?

Have any of you had the problem with the line twisting when you are shooting docks? It seems that my line starts twisting after awhile. from the jig to about 4' back.
    What (if anything ) can you do to stop it? Mark,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Try Reel Magic, i use it long lining. Also the way you spool your reels could be causing the problem.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

Light weight jigs will tend to spin as they fall if they're not tied on properly at the eye and sometimes just because. To get the twist out, you can remove the jig and trail the line behind the boat as you're moving (let out a 100' or so). You can also remove some it just by casting it out into open water as far as you can, holding the line at the reel between your thumb and forefinger as you retrieve it, and then allowing the jig to spin freely with about 6" of line out once you've retrieved it. Line twist seems almost unavoidable (at least for me) if you're going to fish small jigs on any type of cast and retrieve, unless you use swivels, floats, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I started to close my bail by hand and this realy reduced my line twist problems.

Post Thanks / Like

As Fished out said, occasionally make a long cast and it will help with the twist. Also, make sure you are winding the line correctly when you respool.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you fishout thats what I do as well. Sometimes when I'm moving to a different spot I'll go ahead and let my line drag behind the boat just so I won't run into that problem.
    can't catch'em at home

Post Thanks / Like

Good tips. Seems like it dont matter what kind of technique I use with 4 lb test my line always gets twists. When i only have about 10 feet of line left out I start pinching the line every now and then so the twists come out but if your shooting docks that last ten feet can hold fish so prior to casting at the next dock you can make an open water cast and get the twists out then.

Post Thanks / Like

Closing the bail by hand and giving the line on the spool a little tug after closing the bail to get the extra slack out of it decreases line twist a lot for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, close bail by hand. It helps alot.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Twisted

IF you close the bail with your hand and giving the line a tug all your doing is keeping a loop from the twisted line from being reeled onto the spool. You arent doing a thing for the twist, it is still twisted. I fish bridge pillings alot in the late spring early summer and use the countdown method. If you let the jig fall on slack line it will almost always spiral.
    There are 3 things you can do to prevent line twist. I do all 3 most of he time.(sometimes I dont use a swivel)#1 Tie a swivel about 18" to 36" above your jig,#2 Let your jig fall on a taght line, not slack not tight. Slack line it will spiral tight it will swing toward you. It would be ok for it to be tight if your not fishing something vertical, if your fishing something vertical your jig will swing away from stucture. Got off subject. And third dont use those little tinny toy reels. They are a nightmare with line twist.
    NOW GO CATCH SOME CRAPPIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast