Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack plate an a 40 h.p.??????????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jack plate an a 40 h.p.??????????

I recently bought a 1648 WAREAGLE boat with a 25 h.p. outboard. The boat has a 4" drop transom, wich means it drops 4" inches from the sides. I am upgrading to a 40 h.p. that is 9 " taller than my 25. Should I use a jack plate to make up the difference. If not the lower will be 12-15" deep in the water. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

just make sure the wing on the motor is level with the bottom of the boat, then bolt into place and hit the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Looked on the War-Eagle web site and all of there 1648 boats shows a 20" transom. Guessing your boat is a older boat?
    Not sure the 15" transoms were rated for 40 Hp were they?
    If so I jack plate would do it. Or have a shop build the transom up. If it were me that is what i would do. Have the transom built up and then not have to wonder if water is going to come over the lower transom.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Default ?

Quote Originally Posted by slimeyslab
    I recently bought a 1648 WAREAGLE boat with a 25 h.p. outboard. The boat has a 4" drop transom, wich means it drops 4" inches from the sides. I am upgrading to a 40 h.p. that is 9 " taller than my 25. Should I use a jack plate to make up the difference. If not the lower will be 12-15" deep in the water. Does anyone have any suggestions.

slimeyslab,

I think I would see about having the back of the boat welded up to the 20" mark. Most motors come in 15" and 20" shafts. If you bolt a jack plate on I don't think you will be able to gain that much. I run a 1452 with a CMC Tilt & Trim with a 40hp Yamaha. My motor is 7" back and 3" high off the back of the boat. Run about 45mph and in about 15" of water.

Hope this helps.
    Klipsch Speakers
    Crestron
    Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Shilo, WarEagle makes 2 transom heights in a 1648 http://www.wareagleboats.com/boats/d...p?id=4&catID=1. They are 16" and 21". Mine is a 16". They are both rated at 40 h.p. max. Do you guy's think it would be worth the trouble upgrading from a 25 h.p. to a 40 h.p.and having to add a jack plate? My 25 is a short shaft and the 40 is a long.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a boat speed calculator. It is fairly accurate. fill in the blanks.

The hull efficiency number (v, modv, tri, flat) is based on hull.

Flat bottom, type in 225.

http://hhscott.com/evinrude/docs/BSLAC.htm
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slimeyslab
    Shilo, WarEagle makes 2 transom heights in a 1648 http://www.wareagleboats.com/boats/d...p?id=4&catID=1. They are 16" and 21". Mine is a 16". They are both rated at 40 h.p. max. Do you guy's think it would be worth the trouble upgrading from a 25 h.p. to a 40 h.p.and having to add a jack plate? My 25 is a short shaft and the 40 is a long.
    If you can get the motor up far enough to where the anti cavitation plate is even with to about 1" above the bottom of the boat you will be in good shape.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I have a buddy with a 1648 wareagle with a 50hp 4 storke Merc. tilller. He has been thrown out 2 times. that boat is a loose nut. Not wide enough. Will be happy to send you some pictures of the two boat setups.

You will like the 40hp if you build up the transom.
    Klipsch Speakers
    Crestron
    Dealer

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My opinion, I don't think you'll see enough speed difference to justify the dollars spent. If the 25 is old and the 40 is new, different story. I'm from the school of thought "run whatcha brung". I go to fish, not impress.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Skeetbum is right. What to you want to do with this boat? What kind of waters to you want to fish with it? You may want to go from fishin lakes with timber and stumps to big open water and need to move from spot to spot. And need to bigger motor. I think you should be able to get the transom fix up for about the same price as a jack plate.

I'll even get you one at cost.
    Klipsch Speakers
    Crestron
    Dealer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast