Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: If I take it off

Post Thanks / Like

Default If I take it off

Any one out thair mechanical minded, I have an R V that gets 7.9 mpg I would like to now if you take the catalitic convertor off would it help my gass milage. It is a 2004 Ford Gas burner and if the computer would have to be reset. Yes I now it is the law to have this on the exaust system. And would a K & N or it may be a K & b air filter help. The heck wit the leagality our Politions lie so much about opening up Drilling on the East,West Coast & Alaska who gives a Rats Behind.

mikeg

Post Thanks / Like

Post not really...

..would'nt make that much of a difference due to weight of vechicle, the gas savings would'nt be enough to offset the fine if caught..not knowing particulars such as engine size, size vech, etc....would be hard to guesstimate mpg but thinking 1-2 max...newer vech with cats enginered better now..with puters on vech they rely on o2 sensors fore and aft of cat to adjust fuel/air mix with nothing to compare to you run risk of running engine to lean/rich and both bad . ....if you have state inspection and don't know the inspector you will have to reattach to pass...hate to say it; but my advise----grin and bear it..plus if you ever want to sell rv will probably need cat installed...sorry!! ..I would try to keep air filter, pcv, fuel filter,sp.plugs up to snuff...you can try K&N filter, pricy to buy but reusable, some applications help improve mpg..:D
    Last edited by KARL; 03-13-2005 at 10:33 AM.
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

no!an o4 is already a flow thru there is no restricktion in the convertor . how ever... the retriction {my new werd} IS in your exhaust. try a flowmaster or other free flowing muffler.yes its louder.but i got 2miles better on my z71 and 2-3 better on my jeep cherokkee.there are also sum good after market chips. a free lowing air box will give it more pep but it will also cost you at the pump.the only real way to vastly improve milage is change rearendgears or both if its 4by4 .it will be slower to take off{crawl} but will help on hyway miles.if you dont go 1000's of hyway miles it aint werth it. nuff said.

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

You might just have to camp out in the driveway. Even if you fiddle with it you will probably only get 10mpg but hey that might be worth it. I'm with Phy a cat-back exhaust and a chip will probably do the most without changing gears.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Default fuel mileage

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlefarter
    You might just have to camp out in the driveway. Even if you fiddle with it you will probably only get mpg but hey that might be worth it. I'm with Phy a cat-back exhaust and a chip will probably do the most without changing gears.
    I agree with fiddlefarter and the rest, Cat won't help.... I RV with a Dodge 2500/cummins ( 94 12 valve, 218k miles) and a 30' fifth wheel, the greatest thing I've found for mileage is my speed.... If I keep the rig below 60, I get 13/14mpg, if I let it creep up to 65/70/75.. it's 12/11/10........It amazes me how the power required increases almost exponentially.
    Just my $.02
    Happy trails