Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carpet Glue Removal Solvent Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Carpet Glue Removal Solvent Question

What is a good solvent to use to remove old carpet glue off an aluminum boat deck? I have scrapped most of the old carpet off my boats front deck but there is a lot of old glue still there that I need to clean off.

Anyone ever do this type of work before and have any good suggestions. I am going to be doing this job myself this time.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

You may have to rent a big sander and sand it off.

Post Thanks / Like

i just did mind and i used gum 2+2 cab cleaner.you can get it at the car parts place,$2.50.spray it on let it set for 2 mins and then take a 3m sanding pad and it comes right of.
    Dave
    Boydton,VA

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good info here. Many folks posting about doing there own. Seems that acetone used to soften the old glue and scrubbed off with sandpaper.

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?days=60&id=19

Good luck.

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for the replies guys

Thanks everyone. I was thinking that acetone would work good. I'll have to do that job outside after it warms up a bit more. I have some mineral spirts and a couple of sanders.

I wonder if I have to get all of the old glue and carpet off to make the new glue work? I bet that you all will say that it's all got to come off. oh well I can use the exercise. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger690
    Lots of good info here. Many folks posting about doing there own. Seems that acetone used to soften the old glue and scrubbed off with sandpaper.

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?days=60&id=19

Good luck.

Dayton
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Got the same problem. I've tried lacquer thinner, paint thinner, mineral spirits and even kerosene. No luck yet. Nothing seems to disolve this stuff, just makes it gummy. Headed to Wally World now to get some Acetone now. I'll let you know how it works.
    Last edited by reelcrappie; 03-13-2005 at 12:42 PM. Reason: misspellings

Post Thanks / Like

Great. Hope the acetone works. I have a small can of acetone in my garage that I use for various projects like this. I use acetone when I analyze asbestos fibers on cellulose acetate filters. The acetone is vaporized and the vapors help clear and collape the cellulose filter making it not only thinner but it changes the filter from a white color to a clear substance. The asbestos fibers are then trapped on the filter and the filter is collapse on a glass microscope slide. I can then put the slide under the microscope and count the fibers on the filter. It works pretty good. It's calle the NIOSH 7400 Method. But the thing you have to watch out for is breathing acetone vapors all day long. It's best to do this in a very well ventilated room that can get rid of the accumulating vapors.

If you do use acetone remember that it's very very very flamable and even a static spark can set it off if you get the right air to acetone vapor concentratioons. Best to work with Acetone OUTDOORS and away from heat and flames.

Before I try the acetone I think I will get my heat gun out and see if I can heat the glue up and scrape it off. I can do that inside my unheated garage. I just need to make sure that I take all the gasoline cans out of the garage before I start using the heat gun. never know if one of those plastic gas cans is leaking gasoline vapors. I can easily set the three or four cans of gasoline right outside the garage as they are right next to the overhead garage door. I keep them there as it's easier to get to them when I need to fill up the weed eater, lawn more, tiller, chain saw or any other gas appliance.

Quote Originally Posted by reelcrappie
    Got the same problem. I've tried lacquer thinner, paint thinner, mineral spirits and even kerosene. No luck yet. Nothing seems to disolve this stuff, just makes it gummy. Headed to Wally World now to get some Acetone now. I'll let you know how it works.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

howdy moose1am; i used to do abit of adheasive work on older aircraft and helocopters. each glue generaly has a specific remover. do you know what type of glue was used to put the carpet down? if so, and you did it then have you still got the can it came in? then it should tell you on the back lable what to use to remove it with. if not then i'd go to the local lowes or the home depot and ask the guy that's in charge of that area what his best guess is. here's another idea. get 3-m on line and ask them. chances are it one of there glues any way. they can tel you what to take it off with and where you can buy some.
    oh yea befor you glue down your new carpet you will want it surface compleatly clean like baby's butt befor you put on new diaper :D

lol have a happy project. tarfu

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tarfu:

I did some work for a military complex once where they worked on US Helicopters. They gave me some samples of carbon type material and wanted to know if there was any asbestos in that sample. I didn't find any asbestos in that sample thankfully. I would hate to think that the guys that sweeped the floor had been sweeping up asbestos fibers. It was a strange looking group of diffent type of fibers of different colors and sizes though.

Thanks for the great information. I wish I knew what type of glue Fishermarine used when they made my Fishermarine Water Strider III bass boat back in 1978. I got this boat new from the local boat dealer but they don't sell the Fishermarine boats here anymore. They got out of selling fishing boats and only sell the big ski boats and the big pleasure boats. Those boats that sell for 100,000 now. My boat only cost me $4,000 brand new.

The three M web site is a good idea. I may try that out. I just got back from Walmart and picked up a sander bock and some sheets of various grit size sandpaper and another can of acetone. I have my tools now I have my work cut out for me. I picked up some carpet glue yesterday at Lowes. I hope this new oderless glue will work ok. That was the only type that they sold or that the guy working there would show me. They use to sell the Henry's Multipurpose glue but they don't carry that brand anymore. I would hate to do everthing right and then use a glue that won't hold up after it gets wet. The term oderless is what scares me. That could mean water based solvents and that could spell trouble if the glue dries and then gets wet in a storm out on the lake or on my way back from the lake.

I have a thin sheet of aluminum over the aluminum deck material. The thin sheet is about 22 gauge or maybe 20 gauge aluminum over a deck that is 0.80 gauge aluminum metal like the boats hull. The new Tracker boats are using the 0.125 gauge aluminum or maybe that is another brand of aluminm boats that uses the thicker gauge aluminum in making the boats. Give me the thicker stuff please. LOL

I am hoping that with a heat gun and a scraper and then maybe later on some rags soaked in Acetone I can get all the old glue off the aluminum sheeting. If not I will do the best that I can in the cleaning process.

I have 60 grit, 100 grit, 150 grit and then some 220 grit sandpaper sheets that are 8 by 11 inches in size. Each package has 5 sheets of sandpaper. That should be enough to get the job done and then I should have lots of sandpaper types left over for other future jobs.

I also have a orbital sander and a small hand held electric sander that has a space shaped surface that uses sandpaper that has a hook and loop attachemnt system.

Quote Originally Posted by tarfu
    howdy moose1am; i used to do abit of adheasive work on older aircraft and helocopters. each glue generaly has a specific remover. do you know what type of glue was used to put the carpet down? if so, and you did it then have you still got the can it came in? then it should tell you on the back lable what to use to remove it with. if not then i'd go to the local lowes or the home depot and ask the guy that's in charge of that area what his best guess is. here's another idea. get 3-m on line and ask them. chances are it one of there glues any way. they can tel you what to take it off with and where you can buy some.
    oh yea befor you glue down your new carpet you will want it surface compleatly clean like baby's butt befor you put on new diaper :D

lol have a happy project. tarfu
    Regards,

Moose1am

hawkman is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Moose, if the acetone doesn't work, try GooGone. I've used it on small jobs, it will remove just about anything. Says one product will clean dried up glue from glue guns, that might work. Also, regular sandpaper might not work, especially with acetone. Probably have to get Wet-or-Dry sandpaper, believe it is made by 3M. www.googone.com
    Crappie fishing is my lighthouse of sanity in an insane world,
    It keeps me from crashing on the rocky shores of everyday life.
    Crappie.com is my beacon of light!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast