Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advise

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Advise

How is everyone doing. New to this site, been on Mississippi side,you'll have some good imformation on this site . Started tying few months ago, and have some pictures of jigs i've been tying. Could you look at them and give advise, like tails to long, to much thread, wrong color, to fat body,And what is a jig to a fish, minnow, bug, leech, worm.
    Last edited by jug head; 02-25-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default picture problem

how do they look

Post Thanks / Like

I have been tying crappie jigs for a very long time. Can't tell much by your picture but what I do see looks great. In my opinion I would say that you have a little too much feathers. If you can post a larger picture towhere I can see some more detail maybe I can be of some more help.

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth from an inexperienced (jig) tyer, there are jigs that are appealing to the eye, jigs whose utility outweigh their appearance, (meaning that they put fish fish in the basket, but dang they're ugly), and jigs that meet both standards. IMHO, I would thin out the bodies on some of those yellow marabous, but this being said, I would do that out of how I personally think they look, not because of the jig's ability to get "the tap." It's kind of hard to examine the thread wraps in the picture, but as said before, they may look ugly, but they could probably still attract fish. As long as care is taken during the tying process and head cement is used, it's probably a jig worthy to be placed in the tackle bag.

But, if I were you, I would wait for the opinions of the more experienced (jig) tyers on this board.

-Stephen
    "Mister, I love the way you wear that hat."
    "You don't know nothin'."

Post Thanks / Like

Default more pictures

bigger picture

Post Thanks / Like

Default That's better

Getting the picture thing down. sorry about all the posts.

Post Thanks / Like

They are good looking jigs. I would say the tails are a little long or big. But most jigs with marabou are big. I just like a jig with a smaller profile, but of course i'm a hair jig man myself. But they would produce just like they are. Stick with it, and you will only get better with practice!!

Post Thanks / Like

They look good for your first go at it. One thing to remember is when you think you got enough materials on the jig take about half off and it will look and work a lot better. Keep on tying practice makes perfect.

Slabologist
    "Professor of Slabology 101"

Keep your line tight !

fishhunter775 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

jug head I think they good for starting and your doing a good job far as I can tell.My personal prferance would cut back on the material just a little and I would shorten them up as well.If there is to much behind the hook you will get more short strikes.Just my thoughts just keep on tying and see what works best for you.

Post Thanks / Like

If you would tear the feathers off the stem of the marabou and then tie it you can make it thinner or shorter, what ever you want and they will work better in the water if you do that.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast